View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Kiyoshi the Polar Bear
Figuratively Speaking

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14
In Hispanic and Black homosexual male culture (especially among youth), being effeminate makes you somewhat of a pariah. Being masculine to the point where you are considered passable as heterosexual is considered golden. I think this stems from the whole DL thing where closeted men might be married to a woman and have children, but have secret relationships with other men on the "down-low". Thus, being able to pass as straight is needed so that no suspicion is drawn when the two are seen in public. Even for those who aren't hiding their sexuality, it seems like its been ingrained in their psychology due to when they might have been doing the same thing in the past.

Being or Hispanic heritage myself, I know what I'm talking about. I had a friend who discovered that her boyfriend was cheating on her. All hell broke loose when she also discovered that he was cheating on her with a guy. She's not homophobic, but slurs were used by her because she was literally in shock.
I believe the concept you’re talking about is Cultural Machismo.

But what I was saying was, my masculinity was being subconsciously threatened by the stereotype that was associated with the term "gay." It was "in all honesty" type of comment.
Which doesn't really relate to what you just said, but you do bring up an interesting topic of your own.

Personally, I think it's awful and selfish when somebody lives on the "down-low."
Why?
Because think about it; A guy/girl can't accept themselves to the point where they lie not only to themselves, but the other people, bringing them into the lie. They get married to a member of the opposite sex, making their life a lie, too. Then they have kids, and their existence is a lie to.
So just because you can't accept yourself, you make other peoples' lives a huge bundle of lies?

That's quite awful. And pretty unforgivable.