As it comes, it might appear to the poor onlooker of the Competitive Battle Center that the members while posting or chatting are apparently talking in code. Abbrevations such as DD ReStalk Gyara and SubLO Duggy are thrown about over a low shoe, and might certainly seem intimidating to some that does not understand entirely the meaning behind those terms (it is hard enough to post in CBC, but let's face it, if you aren't really sure about what people are talking about it is even harder to make a post and make it seem to yourself as you've made a good impression on the forum regulars, I certainly know, I've had that feeling many times when I was new to this forum as well).
The solution to this? Make a "giant" dictionary for commonly used abbrevations and jargon of the CBC forum. If you are looking for something specific, either click on the letters below to go to all words starting with that letter, or just use CTRL+F to search for a specific phrase. Eventually I'll manage to make most of the references to be clickable, but as of now most of these are dead links, so if something piques your interest, you'll either have to manually search for it using your browser or scroll. Oh well, a little menial work never hurt anybody, did it? ;)
In regards to set names, here follows a short, sweet, and probably rather ugly tutorial that shows that this is actually rather easy :x
How to decipher a set name:
Good luck, and I hope that this will be at least somewhat useful! Oh, and the main reason we use these abbs and jargon is mainly because it takes a lot less time to type up, say, "Zam" compared to "Alakazam". We love nicknaming stuff!
1) What is ScarfChomp short for?
2) CeleTran is a nickname for an infamous combination of two pokemon that damned near resist every type together. Which two pokemon make up this combo, and which type(s) do they not resist?
3) For some reason, my opponent keeps yelling in the chat that "Your Ferro is no match for my SubRise Zone". What is he talking about, and why should I be vary, especially if my main way of taking out steels is by using EarthQuake?
4) Why is it in general not the best idea to put a Focus Sash on a pokemon that doesn't lead off in a battle?
5) I have a Lucario with the following moveset:
SD/CC/ES/BP. Identify the moves, and give the set a fitting nickname.
6) My opponent used the move Gravity a few turns past, and is currently using a Mamoswine. Why would it be a bad idea to switch my Bronzong into it, which otherwise would wall its STABs completely?
7) Why is it in general not necessarily the best idea to put a lot of Life Orbs as held items on a team with Tyranitar?
Decipher the set names;
1) NP MixApe
2) TrickScarf Rotom-W
3) SDef SD Scizor
4) CM Rank
5) BU Croak
6) SD BP Scor
7) Air Balloon Tran
9) DD Bulky Gyara
11) SD YacheChomp
13) TR Rank
14) QD MSun Volcorona
15) CB Azu
16) SD RP Terra
17) SubSplit Gar
18) NP Luke
19) Specs Lati
20) Double Dance Dra
21) RS Starmie
23) CB Meta
24) DD Babiri Tar
25) SubSeed CM Bi
If you enjoyed solving these small tasks, I might write up some more.. ;)
If there is something that you guys feel should be added, just post it here really. You are part of the userbase that actively uses this kind of jargon, your word is pretty much synonomous lol.