Thread: [Gen V] The Rainstorm VI
View Single Post
Old June 22nd, 2011 (09:26 PM).

I agree with Dark Azelf on Scalding Politoed. You'll take out a lot of physical attackers with the surprise burn. A Politoed I ran for a bit looked like this:

Politoed @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/200SpA/56Spe
Nature: Timid
Trait: Drizzle
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Haze
-Encore

It's such a random setup, but bear with me. A lot of people will try to be clever and send out a Thunder spammer against Drizzle Teams, seeing Politoed in the front (and a reliable Azumaril or other ready in the wings). Usually, this is Zapdos or Dragonite, and those both try to be clever and predict that you'll switch immediately. Stay in and Ice Beam. 90% of the time, I was picking off those threats immediately because they chose a move they thought would hit a ground Pokemon (so have one of those to distract-Usually something that screams "I'm a Ground Pokemon!" is best). With Politoed's bulk, you'll easily survive all but STAB Electric or Grass. Encore is great for leads that try to be tricky (Politoed benefits from Choice Scarf and Choice Specs, two of Trick's favorite swaps) or set up, and Haze is for emergencies, but you can easily choose another move as you gain comfort with the build.