View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2011 (2:56 PM).
As a present for a friend, I built one of these beasts. He's actually very impressive once you move past the Staraptor comparison and just let him do what he's supposed to: Come in, mess up a few Pokemon, and go out in a blaze of glory. Bulk Up build is interesting to be sure, but I opted for a Choice Scarf set to get this apple pie-munching, flag-waving behemoth right out of the box and on the go.

Braviary @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252Att/252Spe/4HP
-Brave Bird
-Crush Claw/Return
-Rock Slide/Superpower

With Choice Scarf, Braviary can net a few surprise kills with a sudden 198 Speed (at 50), a meager 2 points lower than a Jolly/Speed EV'd Aerodactyl. The setup is pretty simple and fun to abuse. Return should be used in lieu of Crush Claw, but because this was for a friend, I didn't want him to have to pamper the thing and get him fat. Other than that, spamming Brave Bird is self-explanatory, and so is U-Turn. However, Rock Slide is an interesting little niche that seems to be working against the random Flying types (particularly Aerodactyl, Staraptor and Archeops) and the occasional smart-alek Ice type, while Superpower's Attack drop is easily soothed by a quick switch. It's really a matter of your comfort in staying in or switching out.

I like this guy, but I agree with you on the whole "no egg moves" deal that he got cut with. Even the capability to Swords Dance or Agility or even just bumping Tailwind up to five turns like Trick Room/Weathers would have made him much more dangerous. Though, to be fair, he does get some of the most desirable flying and normal moves just by leveling, and you could do much worse than a War Bonnet for a design cue.
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 3482 1852 7093