View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2011, 03:27 PM
DavidJCobb
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdEars View Post
Apologies for the quality of the image. I'm aware it's not a very good map. I haven't made a map in about three years and I'm just getting back into it. A few things that immediately spring to mind are the dead straight paths and the Pallet Town base feel to it. If anyone could offer some critique to it, it'd be much appreciated.
Rating: 4.5/10
Reason: Very basic. Image quality also makes it hard to rate.

Suggestions:
Well, you already identified the biggest issue in the map: it's very square, and feels too much like Pallet. I don't think you're right about straight paths, though; it's a manmade town, and humans tend to construct straight paths connecting locations. (Roads.) The straight paths (lightened grass) between buildings should stay, but you should definitely make the treelike more irregular.

Also, it's very hard to take a good look at your map when you screenshot it with the Grid enabled. Tile errors become harder to spot and the image itself just becomes uglier. :<

Final Remarks:
Keep the manmade stuff straight and regular. Make the natural stuff a little less straight and regular. And turn the grid off.

Anyone wanna rate or review mine? I built a custom tileset using custom palettes and (mostly) built-in tiles, and I don't know if it's very good. (It's not done yet, so please excuse the green door, the tile error near the bottom-center where a cave exit will be, and the expanse of empty flooring to the right.)
Spoiler:

Last edited by DavidJCobb; July 27th, 2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Can haz rating?