View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2011 (06:06 AM).

Quote originally posted by Astinus:
Is it though? Can't the reader be hooked by the story beginning at a later date in the trainer's journey? It's not always essential to have an original trainer story begin with the trainer getting their starting Pokemon. Like what was said: sometimes it's just better to start where the story is actually supposed to begin. Otherwise, the story stalls out a bit because the author tacked on a getting-the-starter beginning and made it exciting to hook the reader, but stalls for a bit until they get where the story can pick up again. It would be better, in that scenario, to just skip the general beginning and start where the plot starts, hooking the reader that way. Because some plots can't begin with an attack on the lab by the evil team. Some plots begin months after the starting Pokemon event.

I'm not saying that all journey fics have bad beginnings. I'm just saying that when the author feels forced to begin their fic with the new trainer starting their journey instead of skipping it, then it's bad. Because that's not where the plot should begin.
Well, it's not always like that. I think the reason for that is because the authors were starting the fic without any proper planning and they needed a good beginning to start them off. I know that from experience.

I mean, the fanfic I'm planning out based of the Black & White games has the whole Trainer-getting-first-Pokemon beginning however the story really does start there and a lot of key events occur in the first two chapter that also carry on into the next two and so on.

Without going into major spoilers, I start out with three Team Plasma members (called Knights in my fic) attacking the Pokemon lab of Nuvema Town as the three main characters fight them off with their Pokemon (this, in turn, gets the Professor to allow them to become Trainers). These three Knights are recurring characters, one of them being a relative of the main heroes. While this goes on, Zor (N) of Team Plasma steals a Pokedex and a Zorua (who plays a part in the fic later on) from the computer room of the lab.

I can't say too much about chapters three and four but the main characters do make it to Accumula Town by the third chapter, Rezo (Ghetsis) makes his speach and the main heroine, Angelina (Hilda) battles with Zor (N), beginning their rivalry which will culminate in the fic's first arc's climax. The next few chapters, up to the first Gym battles, mostly focus on the main heroes and their Pokemon so we can get to know them better.

In other words, I'm doing that whole "generic" beginning but I'm really starting the plot there. If I were to skip it all and show it in a flashback, I wouldn't like it and neither would the readers.

Not that skipping said beginning can't ever work. I'm just saying that not skipping it can work when the author puts some thought into it and plans things out.