View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Sgt Shock
Goldsmith

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by icomeanon6 View Post
I'm exactly the same way. In fact, I don't think I've ever so much as specified a character's eye color.

Actually, I'm not even sure that largely omitting physical character description is a problem. I'm reading Red Prophet now (OSC & AM ftw, but EW still > AM, heh), and I don't think Card's described many physical characteristics except for ones that actually add to the story. And these descriptions are rarely when the character's introduced, they're when the focus is on that part of the story. You definitely don't get extensive, fanfic-esque description of what Alvin's wearing and what his hair looks like.

So don't worry! Orson Scott Card still loves you!
Oh Orson Scott Card. Come to think about it, I don't know what Ender looks like in Ender's Game. It has never really occurred to me.

I think a lot of authors get away with omitting the physical description completely. For me, it just sort of comes off naturally. Here are my general points for describing any character.

• Hair (Color and texture)
  • Eyes
  • Skin Color
  • Build

That's it. You are lucky to get clothes for me unless it is vital to the character. If my character's a hobo, of course you are going to have to know what he is wearing to deduce that.

I usually don't get to in depth unless it is a species that you don't know. But, I'll admit, I'm not a physical description paragraph person at all. You get a little here and a little there. I'll trick you into reading it by saying things like: he swept the threads of his blonde hair from his face. I'm sneaky like that.

"To me, jumping out into the rainy sky on a mad night is nothing more than a bit of fun to go with a drink." -Kinzo

Last edited by Sgt Shock; August 13th, 2011 at 10:21 AM.