View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Fairy
believe in magic

Allow me to say, I am very, very happy that you decided to repost your team with the appropriate changes. Not a lot of people come back after the rates here give advice, and I think you're investment into your team is a reflection of how committed you are to competitive battling. I'm happy for you, and I also think you should be very proud of the team you have now. There are just a few things I'd like to cover with you first.. I highly recommend you try out this Team Builder. This will help you identify your teams threats by type. I think this will be a great asset for you and your competitive battling future! :D Now, let's move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinamthi
Aggron @ Leftovers
Rock Head
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Joyful/Adamant
-Head Smash
-Earthquake
-Rock Polish
-Iron Tail/Dragon Tail/Aqua Tail
Aggron is still UU and will probably always be UU. Unless it goes down a tier, of course. So, the question is, do you want a Pokemon that can replace Aggron? Because there are better options in the OU tier that do the same thing and have superior typing. This is completely up to you, as your team is now more prepared for a standard play environment. So if Aggron is your personal favorite Pokemon and you refuse to replace him with anything, that is fine. But, if you started battling competitively to win, and Aggron isn't working as it should, the raters here can suggest alternatives. Again, this is up to you. But, as far as your set is concerned, the only thing I have to say about it is; it's Jolly, not Joyful. :>

Quote:
Metagross @ Shell Bell
Clear Body
252 Atk / 152 Def / 100 Spd
Adamant
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Bullet Punch
-Hammer arm
For Metagross: Just use Leftovers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Leftovers heals 1/16 of your overall HP. The Shell Bell heals 1/16 of however much damage you deal during an attack. So Leftovers is always a better choice for it's consistency.

Quote:
Heracross @ ---------- I was going to give him the Choice Band/Scarf from dragonomega's earlier post, but it seemed unreasonable, suggestions?
Guts
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant
-Mega Horn
-Night Slash
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
The Choice Band/Scarf is completely reasonable. There is a major deficit for using a Choice Item, but trust me, the benefits outweigh the shortcomings. Test it out, see if it works for you, if not, you can always try the Life Orb.

Quote:
Heatran @ Air Balloon (I have no idea what this does, but I just know it's good from Alexia's post)
Flash Fire
252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Taunt
Okay, Heatran has excellent typing. But it does have a few disadvantages. Like, its weakness to Water, Fighting, and most importantly, Heatran's x4 weakness to Ground. This is where the Air Balloon comes in. When the Air Balloon is held by a Pokemon, that Pokemon is immune to Ground type attacks and Entry hazards until that Pokemon is hit with an Attack. So, let's say you switch your Heatran into a Forretress. Forretress has had time to lay Spikes and Toxic Spikes and whatever other entry hazards it sports, so, when you switch Heatran in, Heatran will not take damage from those hazards. Then, Forretress uses Earthquake! But tough cookies for Forretress, because your Heatran has an Air Balloon and is immune to Earthquake. However, if an opponent pops the Air Balloon, Heatran is subject to all Ground attacks and entry hazards, so you best predict the best time to use it. Long story short, the Air Balloon provides Heatran (or any other Pokemon you attach it to) an immunity from Ground type attacks for one turn, more often than not.

Quote:
Gyrados @ Leftovers
Intimidate
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Sp. Def
Jolly
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
Your Gyarados set looks pretty good. The only thing I would do is replace Earthquake for Bounce or Ice Fang. The Water/Ground coverage is pretty mediocre. With Bounce, you'll have a good STAB attack, or with Ice Fang, you can deal with opposing Dragons. But it's not like Earthquake is the end of the world, you know?

Quote:
Dragonite @ Leftovers ---- Official?
Inner Focus
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Aqua Tail
-Earthquake

Dragonite gets Multiscale. Which is infinitely superior to Inner Focus. It's really some of the very few things that separate Dragonite and Salamence. I recommend you revise your Dragonite set to something of a Bulky Attacking variant.

Dragonite @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Multiscale
252 HP / 212 Speed / 44 Attack
Adamant [+Attack; -Sp.Attack] / Jolly [+Speed; -Sp.Attack]
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed / Dragon Dance
- Roost

Roost and Multiscale make a particularly potent combination for preserving Dragonite's HP. Fire Punch will hit Bulky Grass types and Steel types. Now, some people will argue this, but I absolutely adore Dragonite with Extreme Speed. And it's excellent for picking off weakened opponents, but it can be replaced with Dragon Dance if you feel Dragonite needs the boost in Attack and Speed. Outrage / Dragon Claw are your best STAB options. However, if you're looking for an all out Attacking Dragon, you're best bet is with Salamence or Haxorus. Test it out, see how Dragonite works, and if you want suggestions for good Haxorus / Salamence sets than we'll be more than happy to help. :)

Quote:
Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Sturdy
252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Speed
Impish
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
Nice Skarmory set! ;)

Now, you're team as a whole doesn't have too many crazy weaknesses that aren't checked in one way or another. I ran your team through the team builder I linked you to above and with Dragonite on the team, there are no outstanding weaknesses. However, with Skarmory replacing Dragonite, three of your Pokemon are weak to Fire. So you're going to have to play around with what works best for you. If Skarmory is amazing and you must have it on your team, than we can work something out to replace Metagross or Aggron so you have a nice balance. Go ahead and play test. Then come back and let us know how it went. From there, you'll have a better idea of what you want/experienced and the raters will be able to give you better advice because we'll have a more diverse field to work with!

Good luck!