View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2011 (01:41 PM). Edited August 23rd, 2011 by JX Valentine.
Your aquatic overlord

Nature: Bold
3,281 posts
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Quote originally posted by OnyxDemon:
When people have horrible grammar in their stories >_<
You do realize that it's rather ironic that you say this in a sentence that's not properly punctuated, right?

Sorry. Had to say it. I mean, it's totally understandable (given the road and pothole analogy that I mentioned in another post), but for me, grammar isn't so much a trigger as it is the attitude about it. If an author says that grammar isn't necessary ("BECAUSE IT'S FANFICTION SO IM DOIN THIS AS A HOBBIE" or "OMG I DIDNT REALIZE THIS WAS ENGLISH CLASS" or "it's for ~artistic purposes~"), then yes, I'll judge you pretty harshly. However, if English isn't your first language or if you genuinely didn't know that a comma can't be used to do that (or insert your favorite trick grammatical rule here), then I'm a bit more forgiving so long as you're willing to learn how things in this language actually work. Sometimes, you might have an awesome story from a truly creative writer who just doesn't know any better, so it's not entirely fair to judge them right off the bat until you know what kind of author's at the keyboard.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter