Thread: Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread
View Single Post
Old November 2nd, 2011 (6:11 AM).
Quote originally posted by darkprince909:

Id give Valley Pass a 7/10, and the bottom map a 4/10
The Valley Pass map looks pretty nice. Fairly roomy, nice amount of tall grass, and i like how you used all the types of grass from the FR tileset instead of just the one. I found a few mistakes in the mountains. Thats what's in the red circles. Also, after i uploaded that pic, i noticed that the smaller trees on the left are wrong. you just repeated the top of the tree, but theres no bottom of the tree behind it...
The bottom map needs a bit more work though. There are quite a few mistakes in the mountains. Thats most of the smaller circles.
The bridges have some tile errors as well. The horizontal bridge has water underneath the entire way. The vertical ones have some wierd backgrounds as well, and look strange how theyre dragged up further onto the land
The cut tree also looks like it could be a PITA as well. i mean, youll need surf 2 blocks later, why make them have cut as well?
Thank you good sir, your eagle eye has helped me solve most of my tile errors. (Except a few beyond my technical capabilities, I'm still learning- sorry.)
Now since Valley Pass has more minor errors, I'm only posting the corrected 4/10 one.

Trivial Stuff:
i like how you used all the types of grass from the FR tileset instead of just the one.
Haha, I actually only alternated between two types. I just chose the busiest-looking ones so that it wouldn't be noticable.

The really big one in the middle, that looks like you cut half of the cliffs off. It just looks odd. Id rework it to use the full size cliffs
Something happened to it in Paint when you were circling the errors, I swear!
Original link:

Anyway, here's my rating-- for your map.
Anyway, here's my map.

Map: Rosewood City
Game: Firered

This town is the location of the second gym in the game, and the Dept. Store with a Game Corner in the basement, the start of Cycling road on the bottom right, and links to 4 different maps (2 north, 1 east, 1 south). In the story, this town was a traditional Japanese style town that was burned down, and rebuilt many years later in a more western style. Close areas to the north and west still have this traditional architecture. The fountain (which i may alter or replace with a scratch one later) is a memorial to the old town and the lives lost.

Tile credits to 874521 and CNickC.

I'm giving this 8.5/10.

This map in my opinion strikes the balance between playability and visual appeal. There's a healthy amount of space to move around, and the map in entirety is pretty colorful.
I'm especially liking those tunnels, and the little Bike Road part gives the map that extra touch.

Check link though, for the one tile error (yellow circle on the right).
The mountain is on the ground, the bike path is on the ground, both are same level, but mountain edge gets devoured by the bike path? Or are they even the same level at all? The tiles aren't clear enough for me to tell.

The yellow circle on the bottom left though is a problem purely based on my opinion.
This part glares at me. Rarely do you ever see a secluded island of trees, in a modernized city no less. It's probably hardly noticable in-game, but as long as players see one tile of it, they're left puzzled (Why is it there? Why can't I reach there?)
I suggest you just extend the mountains to cover up this area.

Oh, and another personal opinion: The city is part-traditional, part-modern and part-christmassy. While it's mostly modern, the theme is still pretty confusing to decide, especially with the traditional city name. I dunno, just pointing it out.