View Single Post
Old November 8th, 2011 (04:17 PM).
Conservative Patriot
Platinum Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Scarf:
I'm looking at the American Red Cross's website right now under the eligibility criteria page and under the section for HIV/AIDS it says, among other things:

So it doesn't outright say you can't, just that "you should not if you are at risk" which probably means the same thing and you'll be stopped if you try. Kinda makes you angry that they consider any gay male sex to put you at risk when HIV/AIDS is something anyone could have, but then they do list about a hundred things that can make you ineligible and I'm sure a lot of them are just as unreasonable.

Also, it mentions under the section on hormone replacement therapy:

The way it's worded makes me think that it won't accept anyone doing HRT unless they are someone like they mention. That's also quite sad, but I don't know enough about the process to know if it might actually affect your blood so I can't be sure if it's just more of the same or a valid reason.

Do people still believe/talk about the earring-on-the-gay-side idea? I haven't heard this in a long time.
That's actually a federal regulation. It is prohibited for men who have had sex with since 1977 to donate blood in the United States. It is enforced by those who fit that description from being deferred from donating blood for life. (21 CFR 864).
http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/BloodBloodProducts/QuestionsaboutBlood/ucm108186.htm