The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource [COMPLETED]
View Single Post
November 24th, 2011, 04:12 PM
im sexy and i know it
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taylor Swift
Okay, well, I guess I'm just going to have this thread become my sprite resource for GBA games then. You see, at first when I posted the "493 GBA Project" thread in the pixel art section, I just randomly resized each one until they looked relative to their Gen III sprite size. Then I restarted the whole thing and decided that every single sprite should be resized with the same ratio, which ended up
looking like this
, and the problem here is that some Pokemon now just look too damn small.
So I noticed when I briefly hacked Gold that Pokemon sprites in the 1st and 2nd Gen games are either 40x40, 48x48, and 56x56. Using Game Maker, I imported all the sprites from Ruby and Sapphire and cropped them to 40x40, and I was surprised at how many small Pokemon fit perfectly into 40x40, then 48x48, then 56x56, then 64x64. I have come to the conclusion that when they made the Ruby/Sapphire sprites, while they're all technically 64x64, they kept the 40x40/48x48/56x56 sprite limit from R/G/B/Y/G/S/C in order to help make Pokemon more in relative size with each other.
So I've decided to do all sprites for either 493 or 649 Pokemon, and I'm making it so that small Pokemon are roughly 40x40, medium Pokemon are roughly 48x48 or 56x56, and huge Pokemon are 64x64. Just like the Ruby/Sapphire sprites (my limit isn't strict, though, say if a small Pokemon happens to be 40x41, then I'll just let it slide). This means that lots of tiny Pokemon like Pichu and Togepi don't have to be resized at all, medium Pokemon like Ivysaur and Charmeleon only have to be resized a little bit. Also I choose the color palette that looks most like the Sugimori art, and if neither the D/P or Pt or HG/SS or B/W palette looks anything like the Sugimori art, then I give it a custom palette, like what I'm doing to Bulbasaur and Golem. And certain details present in the Sugimori art that aren't in the sprites will be added, such as Squirtle having purple eyes.
Since Bulbasaur fit into 40x40, it is essentially unchanged from B/W. (All backsprites will be from HG/SS resized with the same ratio, 80%)
Even though B/W Ivysaur fit into 64x64, it looked ridiculously huge, so I shrunk it down to a little over 48x48.
And of course B/W Venusaur here is going to be 64x64.
What do you guys think? Do these look
good? Personally, I think it's worth doing. This is going to be my thread for the ultimate GBA sprite resource then, and I think this is a good place since no one in the Pixel Art section had any idea what it was about. I'll edit the first post soon to show current progress.
EDIT: Also, once I'm done with all these, I'll also make a second sprite set which is identical but uses strictly palettes from B/W just in case someone doesn't like my palettes.
EDIT: Quick test with Wichu's sprite editor:
Honestly, I think it looks awesome, and I would rather see this than badly distorted back sprites and such.
The Chaos Emerald ROM Base
(it's gonna take awhile)
DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource
Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Last edited by Chaos Rush; November 24th, 2011 at
View Public Profile
Find all posts by Chaos Rush
Find threads started by Chaos Rush
Ignore Posts by Chaos Rush