Thread: [Discussion] Sex.
View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2011 (05:41 AM).
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to deoxys121
Quote originally posted by Shining Raichu:
As for children, I've always been of the opinion that we coddle them far too much. It gets to the point where we are sacrificing freedoms as adults to protect the innocence of children. If that's the price we are paying to 'protect' children against knowledge of something that need not necessarily be protected against at all, then it comes at much too high a cost. Children should be made aware of sex from a very young age, and I don't see why it should be any one group that makes them aware of it. Peers, teachers, guardians, media, I don't see what difference it makes.
This. Nowadays, children are being exposed to sex outside of the home more and more. They need to know about it, and they need to know that there's nothing wrong with it. Satisfying sexual desires is part of our natural hierarchy of needs. The only thing children need to be taugh to "protect" them is the importance of safe sex. (Being monogamous, using condoms/birth control, bladdy bladdy blah.)

Abstinence-only programs that are taught in high school are highly ineffective. iirc, about half of all high school teens are sexually active. Imo, they should be replaced with safe sex programs.