View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2011 (05:07 PM).
SCIENCE

Nature: Sassy
What a great idea! I've been waiting for my first tournament of the season so I could finally make my report
Unfortunately I only went 3-3 and placed 19/47 at the first city championship, so this will be more of a report on the various decks I saw and how they were played. I was expecting a lot of zekrom, which I got, but there was a lot of variety in the builds and there were decks I didn't expect to see at all as well.

City Championship - December 2011
Tyranitar/Donphan/Zoroark
My deck suffers from being a stage 2 deck, meaning it doesn't always get set up in time, but it held its own surprisingly well. Tyranitar is a beast that almost nothing can one-hit and can do 120 damage when set up properly (mine always does 140 because I only run special dark). And donphan is an excellent choice for this metagame because it hits so many pokemon for weakness, and is fast on top of that. Zoroark is always a good tech, as it still handles zekrom, reshiram, yanmega, emboar, and any heavy-hitting attacker whose damage output you can turn against itself.

Round 1 was against a zekrom/magnezone/eelektric deck. ZPS (zekrom, pachirisu, shaymin) was the first incarnation of the speedy zekrom deck, and that was what I expected to see at this tournament, hence why I was running donphan. It turned out that a lot of people had already outgrown pachirisu and shaymin, and were instead using eelektric's ability to attach electric energy from the discard to their benched zekroms. Though it is far more consistent to be bringing energy from your discard directly onto your pokemon every turn rather than whenever you get all four cards needed in ZPS, the fact that it only attaches to the bench provides somewhat of a barrier. This person had magnezone attacking with the benched pokemon receiving the energy from eelektric, because magnezone's lost burn does damage based on energy discarded from any pokemon. Unfortunately, it auto-loses even harder to donphan than ZPS does because all of the pokemon are weak to fighting, and even magnezone is one-shot by donphan with only one plus power. Donphan brought me through that game 1-0

Round 2 I faced the classic leafeon UD/roserade UL deck, and this one included a hypno HGSS tech. Roserade and leafeon are really meant for eachother; with a rainbow energy, you can activate both aspects of roserade's poke-power and inflict both poison and confusion on your opponent. Leafeon then does 50x the number of special conditions on the defending pokemon, which means that with one rainbow energy and one grass on leafeon, you can do 100 damage. Hypno then has the potential to add sleep to the mix, giving leafeon 150 damage to deal, but you have to flip a coin for it. The problem with leafeon is that it is simply too frail at 90HP, and you won't have the perfect conditions to inflict damage every turn, which means you fall behind in the prize exchange. If you don't get your rainbow energy, leafeon has to resort to soothing scent which only does 30 damage and inflicts sleep. A fully-loaded donphan heavy impacts for knock out every turn, which is how i got to 2-0

Round 3 was one of the more interesting decks, and one I hadn't seen before. It was also donphan, but all the other pokemon in the deck were the three dragons, zekrom, reshiram, and kyurem. We both started out building a donphan, which was routine enough. Then he started filling up the bench with dragons and I was like what is this deck?? The strategy is to start with the quick-hitting donphan and dole out a steady 60 damage while slowly taking earthquake damage to your bench, 10 at a time. Then the dragons come in late game, when they have decent damage all around, and use outrage with a double colourless energy. Because they are all a different type, you send out whichever one is fitting for your situation and hopefully hit for weakness. There was also rainbow energy to stuff extra damage onto the dragons and to attack with their second attacks if need be. It was a really cool deck, and I lost to it when he got his donphan set up before me and used rocky helmet where I didn't. My only hope was to use tyranitar's megaton tail to one-shot his pokemon, but I couldn't get the energy set up because he was too fast. 2-1

Round 4 was another cool deck, mew/magnezone/eelektric. The goal was to start mew and see off a magnezone prime, then set up as many eelektrics as possible while discarding all your electric energy, and having them use their ability to bring the energy back onto themselves so mew could use magnezone's lost burn for 50x the number of energy you then discard from the eelektrics. It's a quick, straight-forward deck that has the potential to do a lot of damage, depending on how many eelektrics you get set up. The problems it has include the fact that, at 60HP, mew prime is knocked out by anything, and eelektrics are easy targets for picking off when facing donphan, which is exactly what happened. I was surprised though, with only 3 energy on the field he was able to do 150 damage and did take down a lot of my tanks. Overall, however, mew is just too frail and eelektrics are vulnerable to donphan. 3-1

Round 5 is where my good record ends! This matchup was tough. It was a zekrom deck, which is normally great for donphan, but it had a really crucial donphan counter: tornadus. Tornadus takes -20 damage from donphan due to resistance, which means that your donphan with only 1 energy which was about to knock out zekrom with a plus power is now doing only 40 damage to a tornadus which can reciprocate with 60 damage to you. I think rocky helmet is a really good asset in this matchup, as it tacks on that extra 20 damage so that you are at least within 2-shot KO range instead of 3-shot. I never thought to put it in before seeing some donphans running it at the tournament, though, so I went without. Zekrom and tornadus work really well together, because with a double colourless on tornadus you can attach an electric energy each turn to attack for 80, and then move that electric onto zekrom as it requires you move a basic energy to your bench, thereby reusing your resources to set up your zekroms. It seemed like I had a chance early game, but I whiffed on energy for several turns and fell too far behind in the end. 3-2

Round 6, the final round. I was going against a zekrom/magnezone/eelektric/terrakion deck, just another of the many zekrom variations floating around. The deck operated like a normal magnezone/eelekric deck, bringing up electric energy from the discard and piling them onto the bench to power up lost burn. Terrakion proved to be a very useful tech, as it not only hit my tyranitar for weakness but also covers the mirror matchup as well. The game was very close, with us going into sudden-death and my missing the win by only 1 damage counter while he picked up the win on the next turn. I think it proved how critical it is to be prepared for the mirror, as it was the only zekrom deck I played that seemed to have an electric counter (that I saw), and given that the metagame is oversaturated with electric decks, I think it would be a really useful tech. Anyway, I lost this last round and ended 3-3

In a way, the metagame seems to have a little more variety than it usually does. People love the energy acceleration of eelektric, and they're coming up with lots of creative ways of utilizing it. Declining in popularity was reshiboar and megazone, the former of which I saw none at all. Kyurem is rapidly gaining in popularity, however, and the dragon trio is quite an interesting strategy to pull off.