Thread: [Gen V] Please Rate My Team!
View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:00 AM
XEL
Lorem Ipsum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLUNG View Post
5/10

You're missing out on all of the great stuff you could do with the pokes that you have, I think.

On Dragonite:

1. Take the damn CB off your Dragonite - you're wasting the DD abilities. Instead, take off some speed evs and some atk evs, and give it def. evs. Defensive Dragonite running Roost, Hurricane, Outrage and DD is monstrous.

2. Dragonite shouldn't lead. In today's metagame, everything has Ice Beam. :\

3. Multiscale > All. Multiscale is why Dragonite matters at all. The only thing that I've seen KO Multiscale Dragonite (without the help of Stealth Rock) on a switch in was Icicle Crash on Mamoswine, or a +1 Ice Beam from Genesect.
Honestly, if you're going with what this poster said, I'd drop the Hurricane. Sure it gives you STAB, but that's pretty much it. DDance will boost your physical attack for Outrage, but you're not really taking advantage of its full potential but slapping on a Special move. If you want to run a bulky Dragonite set, I'd do:

@Leftovers
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- DDance
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Fire Punch

If you want to run an offensive Dragonite set, I'd go with:

@Lum Berry
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- DDance
- Outrage
- Earthquake/Extremespeed
- Fire Punch

As for myself, I run the second set, with earthquake and my own EV spread of 20 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 216 Spe for a mix of bulk and power. Not really that necessary but it's worked for me so far. I'd also suggest that you could potentially make Dragonite a late game sweeper. Once you've dealt with a good portion of the opponent's team, Dragonite and come in and set up freely with Multiscale. After that, it's GG.

However, if you do intend on switching it's role you'll need a Rapid Spinner in case of entry hazards.

Two come to mind immediately. You can run a Starmie RSer, which is a great partner for Dragonite due to their synergy. Or you could run a Donphan RS/SRer, replacing Mamoswine. Donphan can learn Ice Shard and Stealth Rock both in 4th gen. It can also learn Rapid Spin. In addition, it has a powerful STAB Earthquake.