View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Natural Harmonia Gropius
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrai View Post
most common scarfers outspeed and OHKO, priority sucks, easy to wall/kill, hazards are everywhere, voltturn (and rotom-w niftily outspeeds with a scarf), it's hard as hell to set up without dying, cloyster is a better smasher in general, etc, etc, etc
Cloyster's ice typing screws him over though. Being pure water, Gorebyss doesn't have to worry so much about priority attacks, and she has HP Grass to take out other waters.

She plays an entirely different role anyway. While Cloyster is best as a physical sweeper, Gorebyss is best as a special sweeper. Cloyster COULD be a special sweeper, but Gorebyss has better sp atk for it. Her only handicap is that she lacks a priority move, but she becomes fast enough where it's usually not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minzy View Post
One set doesn't generally make a Pokemon. You see Shell Smash / Baton Pass / Scald / HP Fire, typically, to handle the BP aspect as well as STAB and having a way to kill Ferrothorn after the switch in surprise with Shell Smash. This is the only set Gorebyss can fully utilize in the OU metagame; there's no argument that can withstand, normally. With this, things like Adamant Max Attack Breloom kill it with STAB Priority, since Gorebyss has to carry Focus Sash, meaning it loses White Herb which could restore its already frail defenses.

It's an all right Pokemon, but one set doesn't make it.
I don't see that many Brelooms anymore, and even if I am faced with a Breloom, I just bring out Shuckle to counter. I switch in, set up rocks, and as soon as Breloom attacks he's Red Carded out. And I don't think Gorebyss needs a Focus Sash, because she can usually survive an attack or two unless it's an attack from an offensive monster like Conkeldurr or Guts Raticate/Swellow.

I run Shell Smash, Surf, Ice Beam, HP Grass on Gorebyss. It gives her decent enough coverage, while Ice Beam takes out dragons (as well as flying types and most grass types) and HP Grass takes out bulky waters. As for Ferrothorn, he isn't a problem, because I can lead with a fire type, like Houndoom, which has not only good sp atk and decent speed, but access to strong fire type moves and taunt, and he can resist Power Whip like a boss to boot.

Last edited by Natural Harmonia Gropius; January 28th, 2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.