• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

[Challenge] Mono-Color Challenge

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
This has been a Spotlighted Challenge. Here's how it works.

Spotlight period: June 1st to August 31st, 2023

Welcome to the Mono-Color Challenge! Here you will attempt to beat a game using Pokémon of the same color.
I am not the first one to come up with this. Also, I did use some of Spades Slick's formatting, so credit for that goes to her.

Rules

1. You may only use Pokémon of a certain color, according to the Pokédex.

• Using shinies are perfectly fine, as long as either their original form or their shiny form are of the said color.
  • You can use a previous form of a Pokémon even if it doesn't fit the color criteria as long as its evolution does, AND you evolve it as soon as possible.
  • The Pokédex color list was updated with the release of Sun and Moon. This is the one linked below. There are some special rules regarding it's use for prior generations:
    • If the Pokémon color was changed depending on the form, then you can use it as either the old color or the new color.
    • However, if you choose to use it in the new color, you must use the form that has the color. This will still allow older runs in the old color to qualify.
    • In Alola and Galar, you must use the form that matches your color according to the color list, no matter what.
    • See post #848 for some more details regarding this.
  • Legendaries ARE ALLOWED! However, there are conditions:
    • You can only use legendaries that have a BST of under 600.
    • You can only have one on your team.
    • You cannot use it until you have 7 badges.
    The list of obtainable legendaries:
    • Kanto: Legendary Birds
    • Johto: Legendary Beasts, and in HGSS, the Legendary Birds
    • Hoenn: Legendary Golems
    • Sinnoh: Lake Guardians
    • Unova: Swords of Justice, as well as Thundurus or Tornadus.
    • Kalos: None
    • Alola: None
    • Galar: Kubu & Urshifu
2. The challenge is complete when the credits roll for the first time, EXCEPT:

• In Gold, Silver, Crystal, HeartGold, and SoulSilver, where you must defeat Red on Mount Silver.
3. Hacking/trading is allowed ONLY IF:

• You cannot legally get your first Pokémon before the second gym. You may then hack or trade in ONE egg/low level Pokémon that occurs naturally in your game.
  • An evolution requires it.
    • If you are playing on GSC, you may hack in a single Leaf, Water, and/or Fire stone once you have reached Ecruteak City. Only one of each if you need different ones.
    • HG/SS does not apply for this rule, as you can more easily get stones either by Pokégear or the Pokéathlon.
  • You may also hack/trade in ONE Pokémon of your color that is not available before the end of your selected game as long as it is part of your game's regional Pokédex. This allows you to play with Pokemon that would normally be exclusive to a different game in your region (i.e. Mismagius and Honchkrow in Diamond and Pearl, respectively, as well as Platinum), as well as other Pokemon that are only available after the challenge is complete (list is below).
    • It must not be higher in level than your weakest Pokemon in your team at the time, or be an egg (the preferred option by far).
    • If you are using an emulator, the Pokemon should definitely be in an egg, unless you are playing Generation I, in which case you may hack it in, as long as it is lower in level than your weakest team member.
    • List of non-version exclusive Pokemon that qualify, by region:
      Spoiler:
4. You must have a minimum of three Elite Four-viable team members, UNLESS:

• You are playing Generation I (or its remakes), in which case a minimum of two is fine.
  • You cannot legally obtain that amount in the game you are playing. i.e. Black in Kanto only has Snorlax, so a solo run is acceptable.
  • For those playing on GSC/HGSS, if you cannot get three team members before going to Kanto, two can be used.
Going with more than three is encouraged, however.

5. Generation VI and VII games have some special rules pertaining to certain game mechanics:

• Pokémon-Amie and Pokémon Refresh cannot be used. The only exception to this rule is for evolving Eevee into Sylveon.
  • Exp. Share is allowed, but try not to abuse it. This is a challenge, after all.
  • Mega Evolutions are permitted, but only Mega Evolutions that start off as your color and stay within the original color scheme after evolving are allowed.
    • As of Gen VII, the only Mega Evolutions that are banned is Mega Charizard X in a Red Monocolor (becomes Black) and Mega Audino in a Pink Monocolor (White).
6. An ULTIMATE Challenge consists of completing a game in each region with one color. There is no need to go in order.
For now, Gen VIII games will not be required since the Switch console is not as accessible as previous handhelds. This may change in the future as more game are made.

• Ultimate Challenges that go through the regions from the first 5 generations will be counted, but will have their own list separate from Ultimate Challengers that complete Kalos, Alola, and Galar as well.
  • Although main series games are highly encouraged, hacks that are in the same region AND follow the same story will count towards an Ultimate Challenge:
    • Examples include hacks such as FireRed Omega, Shiny Gold, Expert Emerald, Storm Silver, and Blaze Black.
  • However, you can ONLY use Pokémon that appear in the regional Pokédex, even if you are playing a 386/493/649 hack, otherwise it will not count towards an Ultimate Challenge.
    • This will help keep the spirit of the Ultimate challenge in place, especially when compared to people who play the main series games.
7. Posting a screenshot of either the Hall of Fame or the final battle in your game is highly encouraged, especially if you are using an emulator.

8. Above all, HAVE FUN! That's why we are here.

The Color List

The link with the color list can be found here.

How to Sign Up

Sign-up format:
Code:
[B]Username:[/B]
[B]Color:[/B]
[B]Game:[/B]
[B]Ultimate:[/B]
Here's my sign-up:

Username: Jdthebud
Color: White
Game(s): Blue, Crystal, Ruby, Platinum, White
Ultimate: Yes

Userbars

Here are some userbars for you to use in your signature, if you so desire:
Spoiler:

Champions

I will only be posting Champions, as it makes it a lot easier to keep track.
Once you finish a challenge, I will post your name followed by the game underneath the corresponding color.
Spoiler:

And here are your Ultimate Champions!
Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Hokay, let me get this thread started.

I've done the following colors already:
Red & Blue: Red, Blue, Pink
GSC:
RSE: Brown
DPPt: Brown

I think these are the only ones that I've completed so far.

Name: Myrrhman
Game: Blue
Color: Green
Ultimate: Eventually.

That's mine right now. I'm 3 badges in.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Hokay, let me get this thread started.

I've done the following colors already:
Red & Blue: Red, Blue, Pink
GSC:
RSE: Brown
DPPt: Brown

I think these are the only ones that I've completed so far.
Nicely done. Do you remember what the actual games you did them on are?

As for me personally, I started White on Crystal yesterday, and am 3 badges in as well. I already did White on Blue.

Right now I have Carl the Butterfree and Ace the Togepi. I will add Seel and Smeargle later on.

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team White:
Spr_2c_012.gif

Carl the Butterfree, ♂ - L25
Confusion, Swift, Harden, Sleep Powder
Spr_2c_175.gif

Ace the Togepi, ♂ - L26 @ Quick Claw
Headbutt, Sweet Kiss, Mud-Slap, Metronome

Last edited:

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years
Name: InfernoRogue
Game: FireRed -> Crystal -> Sapphire -> Diamond -> Black
Color: Purple
Ultimate: Of course.

I do also plan on doing an ultimate for every color, like you guys are doing. Also, assuming that the St. Patrick's Event from last year counts, then I've already pretty much completed my ultimate for the color green. I would just have to do D/P/Pt, because those games weren't permitted in the challenge, and I had played HeartGold in place of those games for that ultimate. Let me know if the event counts, because if it does, I'll do green on D/P/Pt and have one ultimate complete. c:

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Nicely done. Do you remember what the actual games you did them on are?

As for me personally, I started White on Crystal yesterday, and am 3 badges in as well. I already did White on Blue.

Right now I have Carl the Butterfree and Ace the Togepi. I will add Seel and Smeargle later on.

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team White:
Spr_2c_012.gif

Carl the Butterfree, ♂ - L25
Confusion, Swift, Harden, Sleep Powder
Spr_2c_175.gif

Ace the Togepi, ♂ - L26 @ Quick Claw
Headbutt, Sweet Kiss, Mud-Slap, Metronome
Lets see. Pink was definitely on Blue Version. Normal Monotype w/ Clefable and Wigglytuff. I'm 99% sure that the 3rd gen was Ruby. I remember it was a Trio/Unevolved/Brown challenge, and I used Geodude, Baltoy, and Zigzagoon. The 4th gen was a Staraptor and Bibarel duo mainly, I used Chimchar at the very beginning to help get them off their feet. It was also a duo/monotype/first route challenge (second city? I forget what it was called). I want to say that I did that one on Platinum, as most of my 4th gen challenges were done there.

Edit: Done with Green now!

scaled.php
scaled.php
scaled.php
scaled.php
scaled.php

Last edited:

Enigma

Years
Alrighty, just finished Purple on FireRed.

With this complete, I have completed these total:
Green (LeafGreen), Purple (FireRed), Green (Gold), Green (Emerald), Green (White) (I can link to screenshots/update posts and whatnot if you would like)

(Note: My other updates for FireRed were on the other thread, so this is picking up from where I left off.)

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Final Team:
Spr_3f_034.png

Alpha Male Lv. 55
Thrash, Earthquake, Megahorn, Brick Break

Spr_3f_024.png

Cobra Lv. 55
Double-Edge, Glare, Acid, Bite

Spr_3f_094.png

Nebula Lv. 57
Hypnosis, Shadow Ball, Dream Eater, Confuse Ray

Spr_3f_091.png

Violet Lv. 56
Spikes, Surf, Ice Beam, Toxic

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Alrighty, just finished Purple on FireRed.

With this complete, I have completed these total:
Green (LeafGreen), Purple (FireRed), Green (Gold), Green (Emerald), Green (White) (I can link to screenshots/update posts and whatnot if you would like).
Unfortunately, since that event said that you finished after you beat the E4, Gold and White don't count, since you didn't beat Red or Alder. If you can find the save file and finish it, that will work, but if not, you're out of luck (which sucks for me too, since I did it on Gold, lol).

Although there was a lot of illegal hacking going on - *cough*Scyther in LeafGreen*cough* I'll let it go only for those who participated in the event.

So, for anyone else wanting to claim Green, link to your final update in the event thread, but only for these games: Green, LeafGreen, and Emerald.

By the way, Myrrhman, it looks like you can claim one, since it seems you did Emerald!

Inferno, no need for you to link to your posts.

...C'mon, let's get some more people in here...

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Oh, silly me, I thought emerald was over after you beat Steven. Well then yeah, I also did Green Emerald.

Looks like we got no Yellow champs. Imma fix that now. Doing a Yellow run on Red Blue well poop. I wanted to duo Sandslash/Electabuzz, but that can't happen. I dunno what game I'm doing it on, I'll tell you when I find out.

Edit: Yellow is BS. Sandslash, Ninetails, Persian, and Electabuzz are all yellow. STOP BEING VERSION EXCLUSIVE!!!

Double Edit: Ok. I'm doing Blue. Just beat Brock after grinding Beedrill to 20. Definitely grabbing Sandslash, and I might switch Beedrill out with Exeggutor, but idk, Bee can learn Mega Drain and Twinneedle to Egg's Mega Drain and Psychic.

Last edited:

Enigma

Years
Unfortunately, since that event said that you finished after you beat the E4, Gold and White don't count, since you didn't beat Red or Alder. If you can find the save file and finish it, that will work, but if not, you're out of luck (which sucks for me too, since I did it on Gold, lol).
Oh yeah, that's right! Luckily, I still have my Gold save file, so I'll be finishing that now. Thanks for clearing everything up. c:

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Just so everyone knows, I added a rule saying that you must have at least three team members, unless you are playing Gen I or you can't get 3 before Kanto in GSC/HGSS, in which case the min is two, or you can't get that many legally. There should be enough decent options for all the colors to play with, especially in the later generations.

Last edited:

Enigma

Years
Okay, now green is done on Gold.
scaled.php

Final Team:

Spr_2g_154.png

Meganium Lv. 65
Razor Leaf, Body Slam, PoisonPowder, Reflect

Spr_2g_248.png

Tyranitar Lv. 65
Crunch, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Thrash

Spr_2g_178.png

Xatu Lv. 65
Fly, Psychic, Night Shade, Confuse Ray

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Just so everyone knows, I added a rule saying that you must have at least three team members, unless you are playing Gen I or you can't get 3 before Kanto in GSC/HGSS, in which case the min is two, or you can't get that many legally. There should be enough decent options for all the colors to play with, especially in the later generations.
Good rule. Do you want us to use 3 Pokemon on RB if we can? If so, I'm going to go Beedrill/Hypno/Sandslash.

Enigma

Years
Using 3 or more Pokemon on G/R/B/Y is encouraged, but not necessary.
I'm assuming doing black on RBYG/FRLG would be an exception to the rule, since all you have is Snorlax, right? I might do black on RBY next, since I finished green on Gold. (Plus I still need to do Snorlax for my 151 solos, so it'd kill two birds with one stone)

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years

I'm assuming doing black on RBYG/FRLG would be an exception to the rule, since all you have is Snorlax, right? I might do black on RBY next, since I finished green on Gold. (Plus I still need to do Snorlax for my 151 solos, so it'd kill two birds with one stone)
Its awesome. Inferno, if you're doing Gym challenges or E4 too, Erika can be done with Green, Brock w/ Brown, Bruno w/ Gray, Surge w/ Yellow, Misty w/ Blue, Agatha w/ Purple, etc. But make sure you use the right teams.

LillithSilver

Tooth & Eye
Years
Meh, I'm gonna do this.

Username: Fallentheangel
Color: Yellow
Game: White
Ultimate: No.

I'll get started now.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Update for Ultimate Monocolor Challenge (White).

Update #2 on Crystal.

• After I got Surf and beat Morty, I picked up Vincent the Smeargle.
  • Went to Mahagony and beat up Team Rocket for the Whirlpool HM.
  • Caught Sailor the Seel in the Whirl Islands, and my team was complete after Ace and Sailor evolved.
  • Beat the rest of the gyms and the Elite Four to become Champion of Johto. Sailor was the clear MVP of the E4.
  • Sailing to Kanto now.
Screens:
Spoiler:

Team White:
Spr_2c_235.gif

Vincent the Smeargle, ♂ - L44 @ Magnet
Body Slam, Sleep Powder, ViceGrip, Thunderbolt
Spr_2c_176.gif

Ace the Togetic, ♂ - L43 @ Pink Bow
Fly, Double-Edge, Shadow Ball, Metronome
Spr_2c_012.gif

Carl the Butterfree, ♂ - L43 @ Amulet Coin
Psybeam, Sleep Powder, Hidden Power (Water), Gust
Spr_2c_087.gif

Sailor the Dewgong, ♂ - L46 @ NeverMeltIce
Surf, Ice Beam, Rain Dance, Return

HM Slaves:
Totodile - Cut, Surf, Whirlpool
Psyduck - Dig, Flash, Strength, Waterfall

SuperKirbyFan

Weedle trainer
Years

Wouldn't it make more sense to catch both Snorlax, plus hack one in at the start and just beat the game with your team of 3 Snorlax? I've seen multiple people that do Dragon monotypes in RBY that simply train a team of Dragonairs and beat it with that.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Wouldn't it make more sense to catch both Snorlax, plus hack one in at the start and just beat the game with your team of 3 Snorlax? I've seen multiple people that do Dragon monotypes in RBY that simply train a team of Dragonairs and beat it with that.
You can do that if you want, but some people (like me) dislike using doubles or triples of the same species, especially if their movepool isn't the best. Dragonite has a huge movepool, even in Gen I, so it is palatable to do it (although I only used two...) in that instance.

Back