View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2012 (05:29 PM). Edited February 26th, 2012 by dbcification.
dbcification
Long-Time Lurker

Nature: Adamant
I have two questions.

Spoiler:
I'm very new to the whole fanfic thing... But sometimes when I'm playing through a game, or reading a good book, or heck, even listening to some music, I'll get an idea that usually only has a tentative link to the trigger. Most of the time, I ignore it because I'm lazy and don't want to spend hours on end or even days or weeks writing out something, but this time was a bit different.

See, I was listening to the HGSS soundtrack last night, and this idea popped into my head, sort of a expansion into the world of GSC, from a more realistic and much darker standpoint. I don't really want to give away my plot since I haven't gotten it into the final ordering yet (I imagine what to write in stages rather than starting from the beginning and working to the end (in the example I gave above, this scene that floated into my mind would be about 2/3 of the way through the story)).

My biggest concern is length. Do people get turned off by long stories? This story is going from before my protagonist even got the desire to set out up to when said protagonist finally accomplishes the goal he's been striving towards, framed by the protagonist (at a much older age) telling the story. I envision him to be sitting in an armchair next to a fire telling his grandchildren, approximately. That said, it's a long story. I wrote for nearly two hours straight before getting to the night before the protagonist left on his journey. I guess that could be a prologue, or maybe the first chapter, but I still have all of Johto (with my own spin) to go through, not to mention building up the conflict and tension subtly enough that it's not like "Oh, herpderp I'm walking around OHMAIGAWDTEAMROCKETISEVIL," and other stuff that would have to happen before the halfway point. Not to mention all the stuff after the halfway point. I would anticipate if I split it into chapters it would take at least twenty to tell the whole story.

So, would it be better to split it into that many chapters, or perhaps take three or four chapters at a time and post them up as Acts or Sections or something like that?

and

Spoiler:
My protagonist is essentially a transplant/refugee, who ends up moving to Cherrygrove City after his home is Saffron is made unavailable by the main driving force of the plot, headed by my antagonist. He was given a Pokemon egg for his birthday contemporaneously with Red's journey through Kanto, though he wasn't going to go on an adventure while they were living in Saffron. The egg hatched into a Sneasel, and he's essentially raised it to ignore the darker tendencies that Sneasel and Weavile are known for, albeit unknowingly. The way his Sneasel acts intrigues Professor Elm, who invites (I guess I'll give his name, because writing out the protagonist is getting old) Ethan to help him with his research as his old Assistant is not around anymore. He's also going to meet a really close friend and possible love interest (though I have zero inclination to take the story down any romantic roads), who will also be a bit of a driving force in the plot.

I haven't decided on his morals yet. Obviously he's going to be a nurturing Trainer, due to the relationship he had with Sneasel, but he's going to get motivation spurring him on to revenge on the antagonist three times in the story, and I'm trying to decide how to turn an almost Ash-like moral set into something a bit more jaded without losing the original good that I had in mind for him... Maybe I can't, and he'll have to change. I really don't want to change him, but I don't really see any other options.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on the moral values side of this. Also, before I forget, I'm worried that I'm overusing the egg idea, since the supporting protagonist is going to get a very rare Pokemon from an egg later in the story. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.

If anyone can help me out on either of these points, I'd be much obliged.