View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2012 (10:40 PM).
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote originally posted by digitelanimefan:
Okay, so here's an odd request for you guys. I'm looking for something that will let me edit the moves in a japanese romhack. There's no english patch, so playing through it is...interesting. I should be able to manage fine though, since its pretty much just the plot of fire red. The PROBLEM is that battles are a pain, because I don't know whats happening at all. I know what moves my pokemon have, because its pretty easy to figure out based on the type and power, but my opponents...not so much.

In THEORY, I should be able to edit the move names to english ones, but I don't have a tool that will work on a japanese rom. Everything I've tried so far doesn't play nice with it. Or, well, I'm ASSUMING its a language problem. It may very well not be, I've never done this before. @_@

EDIT: I tried one of the tools on an unpatched japanese rom, and same result. So I am assuming its not an issue with the patching.
Most of the tools here are for English roms, and the offsets are most likely different. I don't know where the offset for the moves names are stored (they are independent of the actual move data), but it should be simple enough to convert a move's japanese name into hex, and search for it with a hex editor. You could then change the name accordingly, through hex editing.

Quote originally posted by droomph:
How would I go about to change the number of Map Names on a Romhack? I can't seem to figure it out.
It requires a fair amount of editing the hex structure of the rom...There's a "tutorial" floating around in the research and development thread, I think. I attempted to put it in my rom hack, but it just messed up everything. Feel free to try it, if you want.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...