View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2012 (08:36 PM).
Crystal TierEO

Quote originally posted by Shining Raichu:
Well I can give you examples of films that are "good" - but whether they are good in absolute quality or merely good for their time remains to be seen. After all, if the movies are modern we still are in their time and only time will tell.

Though it is an interesting debate - take for example my "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" example. That might have been a groundbreaking and scandalous thing to say in its time, but in a modern setting where culture has changed so drastically, it is kind of lame. That's why it bugs me so much when people set it on a pedestal among the absolute greatest lines ever. When you consider all the movies and all the lines that have happened since then, it doesn't even rate in the top 100.
I don't know, it might just be that I love Gone with The Wind more than any other film, but that line is still quite badass to me. Well, badass isn't really the right word, but you understand what I mean, yes? I'd be horrified to hear that the person I wanted most in the word said that they didn't give a damn about me.