View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2012 (10:53 AM).
Mr Cat Dog
It takes a lot to make a stew

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Brazil is a good film, I think, as are other Terry Gilliam films like The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. And the Monty Python movies, of course. People can, and do, still quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail and get laughs.
I'm not a massive Python fan, but I absolutely love Brazil. So madcap and witty and it goes against everything one would expect in a futuristic sci-fi movie with its art direction. It's been a while since I've seen it, but it has a special place in my heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
There's also Jaws, Diabolique, and lots of Hitchcock's films which will keep you in genuine suspense. Then there are old movies that you think will be throwaway, typical films from their time which manage to surprise you. That happened when I watched The Teahouse of the August Moon which was rather good (even if it did have Marlon Brando in yellowface). Not great, but still good.
I know what you mean about 'throwaway' films from a bygone era. For me, the best example of that would be something like Holiday from 1940. Despite being light and frothy when watching, it has a real staying power that lingers long after one has ejected the DVD from the computer (in my case, at least...)