View Single Post
Old March 15th, 2012, 02:19 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
I already knew that I'd need ASM, and I do have a plan on making this work...Each letter has a byte value, and I want to make the keyboard thing store a byte value to certain variables (0x8000 to 0x8009 come to mind). The all you need to do is create a certain code, e.g the first two bytes determine pokemon species, etc. etc, put in some checks, and then voila, the Pokemon is created. I've already studied extensively on pokemon data structures, and JPANs hack engine makes it easier...simply give a "base pokemon" (aka Bulbasaur), use the special that "unlocks" the pokemon, and "push" the values from the variables to the corresponding bytes. All I need to make is the keyboard store each letters byte value into a variable.

I realise that simply giving a .raw file would be simple, but I dunno, I kinda want it to look nice, keep it interesting, and make it so even the noobiest of rom hack players could obtain my events, and I'm sure almost everyone can input some codes.
well, 0x815F9B4+(0x79x4) in FireRed is the pointer to the ASM routine for givepokemon...maybe you could try a little call-with-parameters to that or whatnot?

Also, if you wanna do that keyboard thing, DavidJCobb has a keyboard (of sorts) for variable reading, although it's kinda cumbersome. I think he has a link in his sig or something...

If you know some programming you could set up a small applet online which automatically patches your save file, like a real Event.

Last edited by droomph; March 15th, 2012 at 02:30 PM.