View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2012 (03:53 PM).
Admiral of the Pokéfleet

I'd like to join. I'm an atheist, and I've been actively looking for a place to mingle with like-minded people.

What are your opinions on subjects such as same-sex marriage, abortion, the death penalty, and so on? Why?

I believe that everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation, has a right to a relationship and marriage. Ridiculing and taunting people merely because of their gender preferences is probably one of the stupidest and most hurtful things one can do. While taunting and bullying are never necessary, this especially applies to people who are homosexual and bisexual. These people are not a minority, and simply being homosexual or bisexual should never segregate or discriminate them from society. It's tantamount to racism: discrimination based on race, religion, and sexual preference is both unnecessary and stupid, not to mention hurtful.

In all honesty, I don't support abortion unless the mother's life depends on it or other dire circumstances surround it. If a mother chooses to abort her baby because of unprotected intercourse, then I would want the mother to raise the child regardless, mainly because life is a beautiful thing. The child, although difficult to raise, would grow into a unique individual. Every person is unique in some way. If a woman were to abort her baby merely because of a mistake after a night out, then that woman would effectively be missing out on witnessing a child grow into an adult. Financial problems and housing problems for the child would be a challenge, but I personally think just having offspring outweighs these factors. If the child's life is unhappy, then the child should at least be blessed because he or she was given a chance to live.

As stated above for the death penalty, killing an individual for their crimes does not undo the situation. Prison and rehabilitation are better and more practical solutions. Ever wonder why the news doesn't cover anything regarding prison or rehabilitation breakouts? That's because they rarely happen. Life in prison is still a chance at life itself. Ending a life prematurely is simply cruelty to the person who committed the crime. If the person is unhappy in prison and in solitude and cannot bear to live anymore, then it's their crucial choice if they want to continue living or not. In short: no one can decide someone else's fate.

Why are your beliefs the way they are?

On the topic of atheism: I'm a very logical person. I need visual, realistic evidence in order to fully believe something. A universal ancient book and services once or a few times per week are not sufficient evidence. Plus, the events that are covered in the Bible especially are illogical to me.

On the topic of the controversies mentioned above: My above thoughts are basically my own beliefs, spurred from being a victim of patronizing and penalizing myself for illogical reasons. Only oneself can make decisions pertaining to their life.

Do you believe in any form of life after death?

This is probably a question I will never know the answer to. Life after death cannot be proven, just like the existence of a deity. However, there is more evidence contradicting and disproving the existence of deities than there is on disproving life after death. No one's sense of "self" can be accurately measured. Even if brain activity ceases upon death, that sense of "self" being transferred into the next human being born can never be proven. The sense of being in control of your own body is a phenomenon in itself, and if the latter belief is true, then the baby being born would obviously have no recollection or evidence of the last person it "was". I'd say the whole notion simply cannot be proven.

If God does exist, what do you think it would be like?

Just like the way he was portrayed in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

What are your family's general religious beliefs?

My mother was raised Catholic and my father Baptist; thankfully, neither of them ever forced their beliefs upon me by strictly shoving them down my throat. When I was younger, I attended Catholic church with my mother because she at least wanted me to experience what it was like to believe in one god. I was confirmed and baptized, and I regret accepting both. Around the time I was fourteen, I was becoming skeptical of this whole charade. The existence of all of this seemed illogical. In fact, by the next year, I had completely ceased all religious functions and even protested against saying grace at holiday meals. And here I am today, still adhering to my atheistic beliefs.