View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2012 (04:23 AM).
Find your niche.
Platinum Tier

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Cid Send a message via Skype™ to Cid
Quote originally posted by Lightning:
Yeah, if there's anyone in the fandom who has never really minded spinoffs, it's me. @_@ Chain of Memories was my favourite KH game before BBS came along, I was more excited for Days than anything because I really liked the Organization, and BBS is... well, my favourite game of all time now. XD; Re:Coded even gets a little bit of a pass from me because it's not THAT bad a game when I remember it was originally entirely a cell phone game. I just thought it was horribly implemented and the fact that I'd seen grainy footage of the only important part (the end) long before the remake was even announced made it not worth it for me. :P But 3D... well, it feels fine and it looks even better than BBS did so graphically. It's just got a lot of the disjointed world feel that BBS suffered from because they split up the protagonists. So you have to skip around through characters to get the whole story and since they literally pull you out of one character and throw you into another at (somewhat) random, it's hard to consider it on the same level as KH1 or 2.
I actually don't mind the spinoffs myself. I think the KH production team doesn't have that much time to keep churning out "non-spinoffs" in the likes of KH and KHII, but I'm sure they're still giving everything they've got with the games outside the consoles like how you expect SE would. Regarding these spinoffs, I'm a fan of CoM more than BBS from my brother's influence. We never really liked BBS's disjointed narrative, nor the flat worlds, but I do secretly love Ventus and Aqua behind my bro's back, haha. I enjoyed Re:Coded because it was KH, and the gameplay just sucked me in and made me not care about how shallow the story and characters are in that specific game. Hearing that KH3D looks even better than BBS is wonderful. But that disjointed feel, sure, part of me's thinking "Oh no, not again," but Sora and Riku's presence might be enough to redeem that. I actually wonder how KH3D or even BBS would play if you can only use Sora in KH3D (or Riku, seems his role is sliiightly bigger that Sora, it's up to you guys to decide) and only Aqua in BBS. Could they have fleshed out the narratives that way, maybe make the character exclusive cutscenes watchable by the player intermittently in the main character's story?

Quote:
The worlds aren't necessarily large horizontally--actually what makes the game both great and easy to get lost in is how expansive the worlds are in, no pun or anything intended, a three-dimensional way. Because of the Free Flow Action system, you can pretty much infinitely wall jump if you're good at it (and it's not hard). So they have a lot of ledges and rooftops and areas that you can't access without FFA and it's really easy to miss a lot of them. But it's nice because you can do all of this from the moment you're dropped (pun intended!) into the action. So once you're in an area, you can get ANYWHERE in it by climbing up the walls, sliding over pipes to new buildings, etc. When my end-game stats came up, I'd already capped my wall jump FFA as my most-used technique at 999 uses, haha.
I see. That sounds grand and exciting to me, and the very first KH3D trailer might have influenced this direction they went with. I cannot wait to indulge myself in Free Flow, although the premise still sounds too genuine and unfamiliar. Oh well, I think I'll still enjoy it, especially because you mentioned the expansive worlds. Sounds cool.

Quote:
The drop system was very silly by the end of the game. XD; I was playing as Riku and was nearly out of time, so I went ahead and dropped into Sora. I played as him for a while and when I ran out of time, it switched me back to Riku. I took THREE STEPS and because I wasn't supposed to move on with him yet (Sora had to catch up), it plot-dropped me back into Sora. Like... why even bother with the drop gauge at that point? ;_;
Haha, that must have been awkward. The game should at least know when you're close to plot-drops, but I can't imagine how they can do something like that. I guess introducing a system like that can occasionally bring awkward situations.

Quote:
Finished the game last night, despite a lot of glitches during the boss fights. I'm glad I didn't click the original spoiler before that. XD;

Spoilers for 3D Ending
Spoiler:
I've had a lot of time to come to terms with Lea getting a keyblade because in one of the earlier trailers, they pretty much outright implied it. (Same with halfway through the game--they take the audio out when Lea comes right out and says he wants to train with one, but it's pretty obvious why he's standing in Yen Sid's office.) I think the only surprise from Yen Sid, at least, was that Lea could all of a sudden summon the keyblade since it sounded like he hadn't been able to manage it yet. (And of course he summons a cool one instead of the basic Kingdom Key that is all Sora/Roxas/Xion could ever naturally manage. XD)

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more it kind of makes sense that they're giving away keyblades like prizes on an Oprah show. ("Look under your seats everyone... you're all taking home a BRAND NEW KEYBLAAAAADE!!!") After the events of BBS, as far as everyone knew, there were only two keyblade wielders alive in the world--Mickey and Yen Sid. TAV were missing, Master Eraqus was gone, Master Xehanort was missing, and even Mickey was only an apprentice at that point. I'm pretty sure the Xehanort Reports (or something) in BBS implied that even during the events of BBS, there was an abnormally low number of keyblade users still around. With Sora being able to bring so many people closer together, they probably see him as sort of a gateway to getting more keyblade wielders that will work toward the light. So I think we'll probably end up seeing a few more users pop up around Sora before the story is through. That way, if anything does happen to one, two, or a group of them, the weapon's lineage doesn't totally die out.
Glitches! Whoa. But you finished the game already. That's pretty awesome.
[KH3D spoilers]
Spoiler:
I never really assumed this from the early trailers. I guess it actually surprised me that Lea wasn't just trying to look for Roxas/Sora again, and that he wants to be a Keyblade master himself. I did notice Yen Sid's surprise, and I have seen a subbed video of it indicating that Axel hasn't really summoned his until that exact moment. At least I like how the Keyblade looks somewhat.

Haha, that Oprah comparison has been made around the fanbase for quite some time, and it still cracks me up. I guess the whole influx of Keyblades does make sense in some way, but I'm one of those fans who are still trying to cope with the concept of having dozens of Keyblade wielders. Makes the Keyblade less special by every released game. I don't think the Keyblade wielders will be eliminated at their current number anytime soon, especially with the villain wielding his own. Moreover, there are at least two accounts of Keyblade wielders popping up with the skill that didn't need the Keyblade inheritance ceremony, Sora being one I think, so at least that can avoid the possibility of its lineage dying out.

Quote:
I'm still a little lost on some plot points in the game. x_X My "dream" vocabulary in Japanese is apparently HORRIBLE and oftentimes all I had was my phone to decipher some kanji so I didn't even bother. I want to go back to some of the more important scenes that I didn't totally understand and translate them properly so I know wtf is going on... but I'm still probably going to be relying on the Ultimania release in a few weeks for the interviews that usually explain everything anyway. (My "hearts" vocab is still top-knotch though: in one of the ending scenes, they stopped talking about dreams entirely and started talking about hearts like they usually do in this series and I didn't have to pause to look something up even once. XD)
Interesting to hear you have reserved vocabularies for the KH terms that pop-up on games you order in Japanese, haha. Even more awesome that you can understand the vocabulary regarding hearts like that. The Ultimania's contents that explain all this plot that gets more twists every game make me want to get this one, too (the only Ultimania we have was the 358/2 Days one), but I'll probably only settle with the online translations when they surface eventually. It's hard to get copies of it, after all. The first thing I'll read would probably be the usual Nomura interview that talks about the future of the series.

Quote originally posted by KH Fan Bixran:
Also, my friends refuse to give me a straight answer to this: [kh3d spoiler]
Spoiler:
Who would win between Young Xehanort(aka mf from bbs) and Sephiroth?

Also(again xD), i know that riku will get dark aura as a command! Look up chaosaura on youtube, and find either the final boss fight or young xehanort fight. It is epic!
[KH3D spoilers]
Spoiler:
Judging from MF's BBS appearance and Sephiroth's KHII appearance, I say MF takes the cake. That guy was freakin' hard, granted since I was using sluggish Terra against him, but still. Sephiroth was much easier, besides Lightning mentioned MF's time-bending powers. That would beat Sephiroth enough on its own.

And Riku getting Dark Aura was pretty much a given. I expected as much. Cool command to have, that's for sure.

Quote originally posted by Lightning:
The first time I did that fight, I won entirely with Thunder Roll. Every time after that, I found it impossible to do the fight with anything but Dodge Roll since his attacks would hit me all the time. (Thunder Roll, while doing damage, doesn't have the invincibility frames that Dodge Roll has.) I think I just spammed Tornado and lock shots in my LV 1 run. :s
I only fought with Terra on that one, my other characters' saves were corrupted. And my only commands were Thunder Surge and Curaga, since the whole fight begs for invulnerability, healing and luck. Tons of luck for Terra. Oh yeah, that LV 1 run you mentioned that includes secret bosses sounds unbelievable! Whoa.

Quote originally posted by KH Fan Bixran:
i wanna make a PO team themed around KH3D (at least, what ive seen of it lol), but i just cant seem to find good ones to fit the characters. for those that have played kh3d, could yall help me out here?
I'm not sure a PO team based on the KH series sounds fun, although an in-game challenge a la Nuzlocke wouldn't be half-bad. Why not try that? I'll just throw in the first OU Pokémon that pops in my head for each of the first six characters you mentioned. Sora, Jolteon; Riku, Gliscor; Axel, Volcarona; Mickey, Reuniclus; Braig, Skarmory; Master Xehanort, Gengar. There you go, a complete party that I didn't check for compatibility whatsoever, haha.

Quote originally posted by Archer:
Back to other Squeenix discussion, I'm playing through FFX at the moment. I was most of the way through ages ago, until my memory card died, so I didn't bother starting over. This time, I'm emulating my own disc (PCSX2) on my PC so I can a. Render the game at 1920x1440, which is a massive improvement over the PS2's 640x480, and b. backup the memory card continuously with Dropbox.

I was younger when I first played it, so going through now with so much more understanding makes it such a great game. I love turn-based battle systems, so it's going to be difficult to move to another FF game after this. (Obviously FFX-2 is next, then I might do FFXII, which went down with the same memory card)
That's cool, I wonder how that could change the experience of playing FFX. I agree, I enjoyed the turn-based battle system of FFX and how much it strengthened the gameplay. FFX-2 also has a good battle system (Active Time Battle, like FFIV to FFIX, although the Dresspheres are more akin to FFV), but I still can't bring myself to finish it.

Quote originally posted by Destiny Demon:
I can't wait for August, or whenever KH3D comes out. I've been spoiling myself this whole time (though it's not like I really care, haha). ;___;
I also cannot wait for August (July 31 NA release but yeah) and I have similarly spoiled myself, too. I don't mind it this time, I still left a lot of things to discover that can still make me want to play it badly anyway.