View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2012 (06:01 AM).
the blossom pokémon
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
sdkfsls so much to talk about. i love you. :D [apologies for the sheer length of this post, lmfao]
Quote originally posted by Cid:
We never really liked BBS's disjointed narrative, nor the flat worlds, but I do secretly love Ventus and Aqua behind my bro's back, haha. I enjoyed Re:Coded because it was KH, and the gameplay just sucked me in and made me not care about how shallow the story and characters are in that specific game. Hearing that KH3D looks even better than BBS is wonderful. But that disjointed feel, sure, part of me's thinking "Oh no, not again," but Sora and Riku's presence might be enough to redeem that. I actually wonder how KH3D or even BBS would play if you can only use Sora in KH3D (or Riku, seems his role is sliiightly bigger that Sora, it's up to you guys to decide) and only Aqua in BBS. Could they have fleshed out the narratives that way, maybe make the character exclusive cutscenes watchable by the player intermittently in the main character's story?
I didn't really mind the disjointedness in BBS. But I also zoomed through the game REALLY quick almost every time I played it. (I think my longest playthrough was my level 1 one, which was the 4th or 5th time I played it, and it only took me a few weeks, I think.) I think if you play it quickly, since the worlds are so short, each character finishes their story with enough time for you to remember what they did by the time you get to the same worlds with the next. Also, I know a lot of people who played all three at once, so they'd complete a world and then go do the same world with the other two. Each character's story was certainly more engaging that COM's though, I thought. Sora's plot was always interesting but perhaps because I hate Riku and disliked most of the Organization in the basement, I never ever like playing Riku's side of COM and the first few worlds of it, anyway, are horribly empty. BBS was a step in the right direction when handling extra protagonists, at the very least. I liked that you could choose the order you wanted to play the characters in and none of them felt like an afterthought like Riku always did to me in COM, but I agree that playing the whole story through when it's supposed to be intertwined was kind of awkward. :( At least with COM, aside from Vexen and then the very end, there was pretty much no overlap between Riku and Sora's stories so it didn't really matter if you played Riku's side two years later the day before KH2 came out because you'd been horribly underlevelled when you got to Marluxia in Sora's side and it took that long to beat him so you barely remembered what happened with Sora. Not that I'm speaking from personal experience or anything. Gosh.

What could have been interesting--and I kind of want to sit down all day and think about how the plot would have veered off course if it had happened--is if they'd had the BBS trio go everywhere together. It would have solved too many problems and made them somewhat invincible though, I think, so plot-wise it just wouldn't work. (Ven would never have gotten into trouble on his own, Terra would have had the babysitter he needed, and Aqua would have been able to smack the boys when they started making the problems that she always ended up fixing at the end.) If they'd stuck together, you could've just picked which one you wanted to play as and the others would be handled as party members like Donald or Goofy. That would've been awesome! But... way too overpowering. XD; They were hax enough together in the Mirage Arena or even in the Radiant Garden boss. They also lagged the game too much so I guess another part of it was system restraints. :P I think it was handled fairly well, though, when you consider it's a handheld game.

Really, the only thing I liked more about how 3D handled two protagonists at once was that they shared all their commands and pets. The first thing I always have to do in BBS when I play it is do some command board grinding so I get an awesome set of commands early on. And then I have to do it for the other two when I play as them and it takes FOREVER. ;_; But there wasn't any of that in this game. When I found air slide, both of them had air slide. When I got high jump, they shared it. There are some things that are Riku-only or Sora-only (like their payback attacks out of guarding/getting hit and some commands--like Riku uses some attacks with darkness and Sora gets some Ven exclusives) but for the most part, anything you find can be used by both. It made the two of them play almost identically which was a little boring (I actually kind of liked how BBS nearly forced me to abandon magic as Terra because he was SO BAD AT IT and that's all I do in the games, usually [not that it worked too well because I distinctly remember using lots of magic with Terra anyway]).

Oh dear, I got started talking about BBS again. ._.; I love that game too much for my own good.

I see. That sounds grand and exciting to me, and the very first KH3D trailer might have influenced this direction they went with. I cannot wait to indulge myself in Free Flow, although the premise still sounds too genuine and unfamiliar. Oh well, I think I'll still enjoy it, especially because you mentioned the expansive worlds. Sounds cool.

Haha, that must have been awkward. The game should at least know when you're close to plot-drops, but I can't imagine how they can do something like that. I guess introducing a system like that can occasionally bring awkward situations.
Yeah, the expansive worlds are nice but the maps are just too big! One part I mentioned was all the treasure chests--there's sooo many to find and if you don't meticulously check your journal each time you get to a new section of a world to make sure you've gotten all of them, it's SO annoying to go back and try to find what you missed. D: It was easy enough if I did collection while making my way through the plot of each world but I didn't start doing that until more than halfway through the game, really, so I'm still missing chests with Sora. T_T; Also if you go through a big section of a room and then die in a hallway on the way to the next one, you still have to do everything over so that's pretty annoying too. XD;

And yes, the plot-drops were awkward, but I'm pretty sure there were really only two or three of them in the entire game, so I can't reeeeally complain. I wish they'd used them a bit more so the one I mentioned wasn't so abrupt and unexpected, though. Or they could have used them a bit earlier on when I finished Riku's story a world ahead of Sora's and it wouldn't let me progress to the second half of the game until Sora had caught up. x_X; So every time it would drop me back into Riku, I'd have NOTHING to do so I went to collect the treasure chests I'd forgotten about.
Glitches! Whoa. But you finished the game already. That's pretty awesome.
[KH3D spoilers]
Spoiler:
I never really assumed this from the early trailers. I guess it actually surprised me that Lea wasn't just trying to look for Roxas/Sora again, and that he wants to be a Keyblade master himself. I did notice Yen Sid's surprise, and I have seen a subbed video of it indicating that Axel hasn't really summoned his until that exact moment. At least I like how the Keyblade looks somewhat.

Haha, that Oprah comparison has been made around the fanbase for quite some time, and it still cracks me up. I guess the whole influx of Keyblades does make sense in some way, but I'm one of those fans who are still trying to cope with the concept of having dozens of Keyblade wielders. Makes the Keyblade less special by every released game. I don't think the Keyblade wielders will be eliminated at their current number anytime soon, especially with the villain wielding his own. Moreover, there are at least two accounts of Keyblade wielders popping up with the skill that didn't need the Keyblade inheritance ceremony, Sora being one I think, so at least that can avoid the possibility of its lineage dying out.
Spoiler:
I pretty much assumed it just because he was standing in Yen Sid's office and I think he said something really open ended that included the word "training"? I can't remember at this point, anymore. I just know that since that first long trailer came out for KH3D last year, I've known Lea would become a Keyblade apprentice. :x His keyblade is nicer than the previous keyblades associated with him. It's not as tacky looking as Bond of Flame and not nearly as lame as the keyblade you get based on his "weapons" in BBS with Ven. XD; It's pretty! But it'll still take lots of getting used to over his chakrams. It'd be cool if he used both in battle, though. (I'm kind of hoping he'll get his own spinoff game to show his training because the chances of other Organization members being the people he meets along the way are pretty high and I would just die of excitement if Marluxia showed up. n____n Axel's popular enough to drive sales for a game so... so hopefully this could be a thing one day?)

I'm not bothered by the amount of keyblades. I mean, they've been hinting at multiples since the first game when Mickey had his own in his brief appearance in the Darkness, right? In fact, Riku and Sora fighting over the one keyblade confuses me so much now because I'm so used to there being multiples. Especially since Sora? Yeah... he can't actually use the Keyblade naturally. Riku can use it because Terra passed it on to him. I think Kairi can use it because Aqua accidentally passed it on to her. No clue how/why Lea gets his (I guess maybe from Roxas or Xion?? Or from getting hit by a keyblade too many times! *shot*). But Sora only has his because Ven is in his heart. I think Xemnas implies at the end of KH3D that they were worried about using Sora as a vessel because he can't use a Keyblade as naturally as Roxas could. Or something like that? All I know is Sora looks confused, then hurt, then decides that even if he can only use the Keyblade because of his ~friends~, that's okay. It's really cheesy. XD;

Actually, I'm tossing this out of the spoiler because I'm confused and hoping someone can refresh my memory: why did the Keyblade switch between Riku and Sora in KH1? At the time, it seemed like it was because there could only be one Keyblade at a time so it had to choose between them and it preferred Sora's light over Riku's darkness but... was that really the case? Even if the Keyblade *did* prefer darkness and stopped working for Riku, why would that affect Sora's? The same sort of thing happened with Roxas and Xion but I always assumed that was more because Xion couldn't naturally use the Keyblade. (And now I feel the need to go check on when we first actually *see* her using it. Isn't it not until she picks up Roxas's? Is that when the ability to use it was passed on to her, even if only accidentally?)
Interesting to hear you have reserved vocabularies for the KH terms that pop-up on games you order in Japanese, haha. Even more awesome that you can understand the vocabulary regarding hearts like that. The Ultimania's contents that explain all this plot that gets more twists every game make me want to get this one, too (the only Ultimania we have was the 358/2 Days one), but I'll probably only settle with the online translations when they surface eventually. It's hard to get copies of it, after all. The first thing I'll read would probably be the usual Nomura interview that talks about the future of the series.
I've studied Japanese since I was 11 and the only words I knew were pretty much related to Yu-Gi-Oh since that was my obsession in my early teen years. Then I studied it in a classroom setting in high school for a few years. Since grade 11 though, the only way I've really kept up with my Japanese is playing import games. I've imported every KH game since KH2:FM (with the exception of Re:Coded... thank god xD) and after playing through them all, even if the FMs are in English, you reeeally start to get a feel for the vocabulary that usually happens. I remember having no problems understanding any of Days (although I never bothered with the journals which, iirc, actually revealed a fair bit of backstory). In BBS, the only thing that confused me was the χ-blade because they were saying "Keyblade" to my ears but all I could make out in the subs were xblade and it would bewilder me so much every time it came up. XD So yeah, overall, most of my Japanese vocabulary is actually tied to KH. I'm finally taking classes again in university starting May so it'll be interesting to see if I'm any good at the language academically, despite being pretty good (imo) at understanding fandom-y things on my own. :x

I'm soooo excited for the Ultimania to come out. xD My birthday present from my parents was help paying for my 3DS and KH3D and my brother said he'd get me the Ultimania for it when it came out. So it was a very KH birthday, hahaha. I mostly want it to help with completion because when it comes to some sections of the journal, I am *completely lost* with how to do it. So I've put the game down until then. I'd also really like to read the interviews, too, because I have a lot more questions about this game than I did about most of the others and the interviews in the Ultimanias are usually brilliant for clearing things up. (I also want the 3D one because it's the only one, aside from the one for the original KH, that I don't own.)
Quote:
[KH3D spoilers]
Spoiler:
Judging from MF's BBS appearance and Sephiroth's KHII appearance, I say MF takes the cake. That guy was freakin' hard, granted since I was using sluggish Terra against him, but still. Sephiroth was much easier, besides Lightning mentioned MF's time-bending powers. That would beat Sephiroth enough on its own.
Spoiler:
Omg you used Terra against him? You poor, poor thing. ;_; I've had to fight MF with Terra twice and I hated it both times. He's SO BAD AT DODGING which is essentially what you need to be doing 100% of the time in that fight. I'm pretty sure he was a good 10-15 levels higher than Aqua was when I beat MF with her just to offset his bad dodges. XD; As a trade-off, he did a lot more damage since my strategy is usually to just spam a blitz/surge attack (I forget which term is the English one), but ugggh trying to dodge the laser attack or whatever? Almost impossible. Ugh! XD;

I only fought with Terra on that one, my other characters' saves were corrupted. And my only commands were Thunder Surge and Curaga, since the whole fight begs for invulnerability, healing and luck. Tons of luck for Terra. Oh yeah, that LV 1 run you mentioned that includes secret bosses sounds unbelievable! Whoa.
I think I was talking about Ven's final boss fight, not the extra fight. Curaga's bad for that fight! Every time you heal, he heals... so you have to use potions. :P My LV1 run never really included any secret bosses. I think I might have done VS on my Aqua file but I'm pretty sure MF is literally impossible at LV1 since after he's halfway, he heals every time you get a critical hit in. At LV1, I assume each hit you deal him is normally 1 damage so if he healed every time you crit hit, it would just be impossible to get him all the way down. :( Also the fight would take like three hours, haha. The bosses after MF in Final Mix are pretty ridiculous too so I made a new file with Aqua that wasn't level 1 when I took those on. (I did do all *plot* at LV1, so that extra boss in the World of Darkness with her was still part of my challenge. That was so exhilarating, to fight a boss I'd never fought before at that difficulty. I went back like a year later with a save from my not-level-1 file and the boss just wasn't as fun since it died too quickly. XD;
That's cool, I wonder how that could change the experience of playing FFX. I agree, I enjoyed the turn-based battle system of FFX and how much it strengthened the gameplay. FFX-2 also has a good battle system (Active Time Battle, like FFIV to FFIX, although the Dresspheres are more akin to FFV), but I still can't bring myself to finish it.
I never liked the turn-based system in FFX all that much. It might be because, aside from Pokemon, almost all the games I play are fairly action-based. All the Final Fantasies I like at least have the ATB to make things more dynamic, Kingdom Hearts is as much action as it is role-playing, and Tales of is realtime. Those are all my favourite kinds of RPGs so going back to play FFX just seems... difficult. I do remember enjoying it when I started playing it again last year but my disc is scratched so I couldn't get very far anyway. ;~;
Quote originally posted by Archer:
Back to other Squeenix discussion, I'm playing through FFX at the moment. I was most of the way through ages ago, until my memory card died, so I didn't bother starting over. This time, I'm emulating my own disc (PCSX2) on my PC so I can a. Render the game at 1920x1440, which is a massive improvement over the PS2's 640x480, and b. backup the memory card continuously with Dropbox.
That's such a good idea. It must be absolutely gorgeous! I remember emulating a bit of KH Re:COM once so I could take a screenshot of something pretty early on and it was really pretty. I totally forgot about it until now, but I think next FF I replay will get that same treatment. :D
Quote originally posted by Destiny Demon:
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS whew sorry I've been buried with schoolwork, but I'll be more active in the summer (hopefully).
You liiiiive. <3 Welcome back, haha.
Quote originally posted by Destiny Demon:
I can't wait for August, or whenever KH3D comes out. I've been spoiling myself this whole time (though it's not like I really care, haha). ;___;
I also cannot wait for August (July 31 NA release but yeah) and I have similarly spoiled myself, too. I don't mind it this time, I still left a lot of things to discover that can still make me want to play it badly anyway.
The battle system and controls are worth it even if you know the whole plot already. *u* The game itself is so much fun!