View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
Guys, I'm a little disappointed in the first monster name translations from KH3D. :(

Frog Chef -> Chef Kyroo
Ghost Clown -> Jestabocky
Koumori Bat -> Komory Bat
Wondernyan -> Meow Wow
Blazing Lobster -> Char Clobster
Denden Cargot -> Escarglow
Mimi Bunny -> Me Me Bunny
Ganmi Fukurou -> Peepsta Hoo

I like the ones that they actually translated, mostly, but the ones where they kept the names just seems lazy. And if they could keep the name for Komory Bat, why couldn't they keep Wondernyan's name? ;_; It sounds so much cuter than Meow Wow, haha. (Sorry, I just have a lot of feels about Wondernyan.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post
I never really stopped myself from disliking BBS's disjointedness, so I think it's my fault that I didn't enjoy it as much as COM. Even though the latter wasn't even as rich in plot during Reverse/Rebirth like you said. Anyway, I found it annoying how much story they could have placed in BBS, COM or even 358/2 Days, and couldn't due to hardware constraints, thus making the game really short and almost empty. I believe there is just so much potential in new settings and characters, and they could have fleshed out the main trio's close friendship to make people care enough when they all fell apart in their respective games. That applies to both BBS and 358/2 Days, since COM didn't have much of a main trio. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of those fans who felt really bad for their sad ends. Anyway, I never tried playing all three at once in a way that I imagine KH3D took it. That's true, you don't really need to play Sora's before Riku's. I wonder why they didn't offer the option to play as Riku from the get-go, except his side does not hold as much juice, plot-wise and gameplay-wise. But yeah, I actually played Reverse/Rebirth almost a year after I finished Sora's story in Re:COM, although I did play both sides in COM almost continuously.
Riku's starts a little bit after Sora's (and of course, continues on after Sora goes to sleep), I think, so I guess they wanted it to be in chronological order. I do agree that the games needed more ways to feel closer to the main characters. I got so attached to the trio in BBS just from playing the game so many times. But their more touching "together" moments are in the tutorial which is skippable so it can be hard to bring yourself to care a lot when they're split up. With Days... all the bonding was usually just done in a silent cutscene because of the way the game played (by letting you do non-plot missions for random days). I also don't consider the Org trio to be on such a high level as the other trios. :( I think it's because Axel and Xion didn't really seem to be friends until pretty late in the game and Axel always just sort of... seemed to put up with Xion because Roxas really liked her. And then everyone forgets Xion anyway so. ;~; It's not a great "trio", really.
Quote:
Interesting, so 3D actually combined Sora and Riku's arsenal into one. I haven't actually thought much about the Dream Eaters/Spirits, I wonder how they actually feel like as partners. Yeah, I remember grinding in command board for Terra, even though I only discovered its use extremely late (after my main Ventus save file got corrupted). It is pretty frustrating, especially when one NPC I fight with for each board always ends up mindlessly sabotaging my efforts. I remember how anticlimactic fighting Ventus and Aqua was in the last huge board shaped like that BBS symbol, I think, because they kept the bad AI they had from the first board, haha. Anyway, I don't think the lack of variation between them will bug me that much, I'll probably be more annoyed if they actually had extremely diverse gameplay styles given the Drop system.
The Dream Eaters play a lot like your party members from the first game, with the added bonus of special attacks once their dream gauge fills up. (Their gauge is essentially like the command gauge in BBS--like when Riku's monsters max it out, he can use one of them to go into a an elemental drive form. Sora gets limit breaks with them. :P) They work as normal members of the party otherwise. They're pretty great. (And adorable. <3) As for Sora and Riku themselves, Riku's like a cross between Terra and Ven and Sora's between Aqua and Ven. So they average out pretty well. :P

Hahaha omg the AI in Command Board. XD I loved stupid!Ven and stupid!Terra. On the Secret board, Ven would always play so badly. He'd go all the way out to the farthest colour-space, go back to the start, and then remember he didn't get the colour-space right next to the farthest one and go all the way back. And then there's Terra:

Quote:
I'd take that challenge actually. I oddly enjoyed completing the treasure chests indicated in the journal in KHII so I'll probably be obsessive with the exploration here. Unless the plot runs dry as a side effect. But yeah, I would imagine someone like me to not even bother in that situation, not understanding the Japanese names for the items, haha. Now that you mention the possibility of dying in the middle of those huge rooms, the old small segmented rooms will be missed.
Some of the big rooms are done really well--like Traverse Town, it always feels appropriate because you have this huge space and they've got rooftops and roads and stairs and buildings and all that stuff to keep you looking around. Notre Dame is pretty good for that too. But then there are places like the Pinocchio world (especially with Riku) where they give you a huge expanse and all that's really is this big empty floor and maybe some platforms higher up that you can't even see. :/ Those ones are just boring and depressing to explore, haha.
Quote:
Yeah, I wonder if they just discarded the actual Drop gauge and simply strategically placed the plot-drops often enough to not be too abrupt or unexpected. Could that have changed the experience? Oh yeah, you mentioned having nothing to do for a character at times. I thought they had an option to Drop immediately on the player's whim.
Yeah, you can drop whenever you want, but you won't collect drop points for it and you spend the points between each drop to power up the next character. I usually liked having some of the buffs on (even if I never noticed their effects). :x It also counts the number of times you've dropped and I didn't want it to be ridiculously high for no reason because I'm weird and it would bother me. XD; But I think I would have preferred having specific drop places. (Like, you can drop wherever you want but you'd be forced to drop at the end of the world you just completed or something like that.)

It doesn't help that I never figured out exactly what causes the Drop Gauge to speed up or slow down. :(
Quote:
Spoiler:
I see. I didn't understand the dialogue for Japanese trailers, haha, so that explains it. If I had known, then I wouldn't be this shocked. Now that you mention it, Lea's Keyblade does look way better than Frolic Flame and Bond of Flame. And yeah, adapting into a Keyblade from an existing weapon that already requires two hands would be something. Both in battle? An awesome idea! And I'd definitely buy that spinoff game when it's released, I want Larxene and Marluxia, hahaha.

I guess, but I always thought Mickey's made sense because it was simply a palette change from Sora's and it sounded reasonable for the all-powerful Keyblade to have a counterpart in Mickey's hands, Sora being based off the mouse after all. It does seem confusing how Riku and Sora fought over the Keyblade, but I think the specific Ven-like points in Sora during the first game actually gave him enough merits to claim the Keyblade from Riku's hands. I'm not particularly sure if Sora got his because of Ven but you're probably right with Riku and Kairi. Lea, sadly, didn't get the Keyblade from Roxas or Xion if you ask me (although getting hit by a Keyblade too many times being the cause is a funny thought). He probably inherited it from Yen Sid or King Mickey, with Mickey getting his from Yen Sid, too, or from his adventures in the Realm of Darkness. Oh yeah, I'll randomly ask, is BBSv2 a game under development or something? I think they could do a lot of explaining with it judging from the BBSFM clip. Lastly, I spoiled myself enough to know what you were talking about with Xemnas and Sora, but it's honestly pretty depressing to see the main character in that position. At least he's getting some character development there, and I wish they continue this with the next games chronologically.
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure there were subs for most of the trailers but I remember not liking one of them because they didn't translate something the way I would have. (I thought it stood out because they translated Roxas imitating Axel's catchphrase as the actual catchphrase when really, he gets the verb tense wrong so he was saying something more like "Have you memorized it?" XD) But yes, a spinoff with Lea would be amazing. ;~; And ohmygod I'd die of happy if Marluxia and Larxene came back in it... and die of even more happy if they were not at all pleased with him and became minor villains or something. XD; This needs to happen!

Lea probably did get his keyblade from Mickey or Yen Sid; possibly the former because he saves Queen Minnie immediately before they bring him back to talk to Yen Sid about it, so it would make sense. (Especially if Mickey did it before talking to Yen Sid about it since he tends to make those kinds of decisions on his own. XD)

We haven't heard anything about BBSv2 yet! It's so disappointing. :( I think all I remember hearing was that 3D was supposed to be the last spinoff before KH3. Either they meant it was the last new one to be announced (meaning BBS2 was still okay) or they scrapped BBS2. They've never answered any questions about it (since no Ultimania came out for BBSFM) and it's like the secret ending of BBSFM never happened. But Nomura did say that he wants to make a game that details what happened when Riku and Mickey were in the Realm of Darkness after KH1, so maybe they'll make it an episodic game where you control different people and go through their time there? I'd be okay with anything, honestly, so long as I get my Aqua back. ;~;

Quote:
Spoiler:
I think it had something to do with both of them not having actual Keyblades of their own yet. They simply had the ability to hold the Keyblade in their hands (with Ventus inside Sora and Terra's ceremony performed onto Riku), and the one they kept tossing around which Sora eventually continued using was probably the Realm of Light's main Keyblade (if King Mickey's is the main one from the Realm of Darkness). This probably means that no one actually owns it, it's neither Sora's nor Riku's and has its own entity (and the latter gets his actual own Keyblade later on). Maybe the χ-blade containing two Keyblades that appear just like it wasn't a coincidence. Anyway, during the destruction of Destiny Islands, that specific Keyblade probably went with Sora after sensing danger because Riku's heart was out of reach and Sora's was at least strong enough back then. Or maybe it's something else, I don't know. However, when Sora entered Hollow Bastion, this Keyblade finding an actual Keyblade wielder's heart (Riku went through the inheritance ceremony after all) that acknowledged this fact (it probably was only then that Riku remembered) initially swayed it onto Riku's hands. And then, Sora getting a Ven-like characteristic when he thought of his friends strengthened his heart, (Kairi's and Ven's inside him too) as a Keyblade wielder, enough to nab it back from Riku. It's something I've been thinking hard about, too, and it's a great example of Nomura's own Kudzu Plot.
Okay, that... I think that makes a lot of sense. I'd completely forgotten that the Realm of Light had its own keyblade or something like that. XD I somehow never remember that worlds and places have hearts of their own and whatnot. I think you're probably right.

Spoiler:
KH3D also implies that if someone opens their heart too much to darkness, they can lose the ability to use the keyblade. (I think it's supposed to be why Ansem and Xemnas couldn't use the keyblade.) That's probably why Riku lost it for a while, too.

Quote:
That's so cool. It must be amazingly helpful to have that background in fandoms like this. I'm still deciding if I'll continue studying Japanese, since I've got more opportunities to than most of my peers. Again, that skill must be pretty handy in keeping up with the franchise, even something as confusing as KH. But yeah, even I got a little confused with the whole χ-blade thing playing in English, so it must be bewildering to encounter it first in Japanese haha. And if you're going to take classes soon then more power to you. You'll probably find it easy with that background.
If you like the language, you should keep up with it. :3 Japanese is a lot more fun for me to study than, say, French, since it's easier to practise with it. All I have to do is watch anime/dramas without subs, play import games, or read manga without translations to practise. It's just as easy to find material for French here but not nearly as fun. :P
Quote:
I wish I had a KH birthday, haha. And since you mentioned how hard it is to explore and complete it all then the Ultimania will be a great help. I hope the interviews don't just tease on the future of the games, and explain clearly all the confusion they set-up in the recent title. And I am absolutely envious that you'll eventually have every Ultimania bar the original KH.
I lied. I was price checking the new one at different sites and realized I don't have the Re:Coded Ultimania. I... I will not be getting it because I still pretend that game doesn't exist. XD;
Quote:
Spoiler:
I did, actually. And that was my major gripe, his sluggish ground dashes. Even Aqua can do better with her cartwheels, sigh, unbelievable. And the surge attack is the English term, I think, but yeah I remember now that I used plenty of Thunder Surges, Potions (can't remember if I used Potions or Hi-/Mega-ones, and I incorrectly mentioned Curaga) and Renewal Block. I think I also mixed in a Shotlock (Bio Barrage, I think?) but I don't know if that was during my winning run. I know what you're talking about with the instant death laser attack (looks a lot like Collision Magnet) that completely overwhelms both Once More and Second Chance, ugh, when I see MF jumping up and preparing the glowing whip/laser/Collision Magnet I dash away like crazy. I also hate the mini-tornadoes akin to Marluxia in Re:COM that blast away my commands, man that was frustrating. No Name was worth it, at least. It still looks awesome.
Spoiler:
The command-scattering attack never bothered me that much because I already spend most of the fight just dodging around, so dodging into the commands to pick them back up was never much of a strategy change, but I hate when my cure commands are the last ones to show up. XD; The laser one was the worst no matter who you're using, though. Anything that goes beyond both Once More & Second Chance are cheap hax moves. >:O

But yes, No Name was worth it. n_n It was easily my favourite keyblade in BBS before Crown Unlimit in FM. I think it might only have to do with how difficult it is to obtain, though, which is the reason I like Crown Unlimit, at least. XD

Quote:
I see. I found Ven's final boss fight really difficult on my first try, maybe because the buttons and the analog stick weren't at their best shape and I was too busy listening to the final boss's VA. But I got the hang of it. And you're right, MF during a LV1 run would be close to impossible, hahaha. Final Mix bosses, huh. I could imagine how it would be fun to take on them like that (it's already pretty hardcore), but I probably wouldn't beat them without dying a lot of times, lol.
The first time I beat Ven's final boss, I'd just rolled around using Thunder Roll and damaged him that way, and then accidentally beat him when you're floating around and the ground has broken away. I had no idea what I did and didn't think it was supposed to be hard. Then when I played the game again in English, I could not beat him. XD; The Thunder Roll strategy didn't work for me so I had to beat him legit... and then I had NO IDEA how to do the ending part. It wasn't until like a year after I originally played the game that someone pointed out that you had to fill your command gauge and use the finisher on him that I realized how it worked. Ooops!

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter