Thread: FireRed hack: POKEMON: Dark Rising
View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
Magic

I don't really understand what you've got here.

It looks like you've just crammed as much in a possible, and it's played havoc with your story, from what I can see from the screens/what you've posted. The 'story' section of your thread itself is incredibly bland and tells me nothing.

Working my way down your first post we get to a big issue - the characters. Mario? Luigi? Yugi? ... Quagmire? Why even. If you're trying to make your own game, which from the looks of it you are, don't go making it some kind of comic relief cross over. They add nothing to the hack other than a 'wth is he doing here?' reaction.

Next: New moves. U-Turn? As far as I know nobody has put U-Turn into a 3rd Gen hack, because the mechanics of the move are pretty hard to replicate I imagine! If you can't promise features like these, don't put them in your first post.

On to the screenshots. For the most part, your mapping is bad. It's horrible square, empty and boring. Two houses, a layer of trees (which can be walked through) and a square pond? The palette in the Pokémon centre is totally mucked up, which I assume you did by accident because it looks terrible. The hero sprites look flat, all the custom sprites just look terrible I'm afraid - 'V' is the only one who is in the correct style and goes well.

The pokémon sprites you have put in, for the most part, are good quality. Which is good. However you might want to rethink what pokémon you are inserting. For instance, you have far too many legendaries. If they aren't obtainable it's going to be even more tiring. Only include the legendaries that are part of the story, and then 1-3 bonus ones (kind of like a legendary trio, at most). I also noticed Karrablast is included - Karrablast has a unique evolution path, so wouldn't it be better not to include it?

Also the tiles you are using are well inserted, but it looks like you need more snow tiles considering how bare the snow maps are.

----

Anyway, to sum up this mammoth post, it would be a good idea to finalise your story and pick what NEEDS to be included, and what you are throwing in just for the sake of it (IE Cameos outside of PKMN). Maybe have a look at some mapping tutorials, or post some maps in the map rating thread for feedback.