View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2012 (12:31 PM).
the blossom pokémon
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Kaori:
Am I the only one who wasn't so disappointed the female protagonist was not shown in the trailer? I mean it was obvious GameFreak would use the male protagonist to promote these games, like they always do. Plus it was still a great trailer overall! How can you lose interest over that? D: She'll be in the games, which is the main thing that counts. The whole point to the trailer was pretty much to promote the games right? It was new and different, and a nice add.
I feel like I don't really have the right to complain because the female protagonists usually end up in the actual anime itself but that doesn't seem to be happening in Gen V so I would have really appreciated seeing an anime version. Would it have been so hard to replace the guy with the girl in some of the scenes? I don't think it would have been confusing or anything.

Japan's pretty gender-skewed but it'd have been nice to see both protagonists get the same treatment. The female feels lesser to me now, like she's ot on the same level as the male and is only there to appease female fans. (And maybe she is, but part of the reason girls should be a choice for your trainer avatar in the first place is to show they're on equal footing with the guys. Excluding her from the trailer says the exact opposite.) Precedent for showing the male trainers more than the girls in promotional material doesn't make it okay to keep doing it. :(

I get that the trailer is something cool and different for once as far as game adverts go but that doesn't make it any less disappointing that they left out the one reason I have so far to buy this game. :P It's not a big deal to most people but I really, really like the girl's design so yeah, I'm disappointed she wasn't in it. Not overly surprised that she wasn't, but disappointed all the same.