View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Dragonite Ernston
I rival Lance's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCharizard View Post
C# is cross platform some what, ever heard of the mono project? C# can be used on Windows and Mac, i'm not certain of any other OS however...
Already addressed up there for you, buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite Ernston View Post
Sure you have Mono for C# on UNIX-based systems, but that's really inconvenient and hard to use and you wouldn't have much support for it on that end.
Which then ties into this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSpirit View Post
Mono hard to use? lol Have you ever used WinForms? It starts you off with a Window, just drag buttons on there. Sure, it's better for applications rather than games, but it's still easy. Create an OpenGL control and it's the same as programming in C++, except all of the window creation is handled for you (very easy to change too).
We use a library called SFML for window creation and management. It works much better for games and what we're doing. Eventually we'd also be porting it over to SDL.

The game engine we're making does not have any dedicated interface buttons; everything is controlled via keyboard or the mouse clicking somewhere on the screen and the program detecting that something should happen, just like in the actual games and almost any other fullscreen-style game out there.

And yes, I have used WinForms; I use it when programming application GUIs in VB.NET (but not to track IP addresses). Even there I will sometimes use labels rather than command buttons as buttons, because labels don't stick out as much.