View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:43 AM
machomuu
Master Spark is Comin' to Town
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
Elite Beat Agents is one of my favourite DS games, but I didn't realise until a few months ago that it was, essentially, a reboot of a Japanese-only game called Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! ("Hey! Fight! Cheer Squad" when literally translated.) Apparently it's verrrrrrrrry Japanese in its influences, which is probably why it wasn't localized for the foreign market, but I'm still really curious as to how this game and EBA differ from one another and what similaries they have. And I love a good rhythm game! :D
Well, one difference is that the characters are "cheerleaders"...so to speak. Ouendan, in real life, is what you'd call "Extreme Cheerleading". It's more popular than guys than girls, and its easy to see why it's called extreme. The movements and chants are what you'd expect if you combined army march movements with cheerleading (it's kind of hard to explain, you just have to see it). As for the games themselves, they are rather similar to Elite Beat Agents (which was released after Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan and before Moero Nekettsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! 2), and they follow a set of songs that follow a dilemma of a character in the song. Unlike Elite Beat Agents, the GUI and Art Style of the Japanese games are more reminiscent of manga style. Ouendan 1's graphics aren't as good and the textures aren't as clear, not too mention the noticeable lack of a "skip" button, but it does have good songs, and is in no way bad. Ouendan 2, on the other hand, takes notes from Elite Beat Agents and Ouendan 1 and improves on what they did wrong or could do better, having a much cleaner look and better graphics than Ouendan 1 did and simply being faster to navigate. The songs in this game are pretty amazing, almost all of them are very good, and on a more prominent note, there are two teams of characters involved with each new difficulty, the characters from Ouendan 1 that take care of songs on the West Side, and new characters that take care of songs on the East side. The games just get better going from Ouendan 1 to Elite Beat Agents to Ouendan 2, so you should really give them a try.

Also, on a side note but still on subject, you should give the free game Osu! a try for the PC, it's based off of the Ouendan series. You can use a mouse, Wiimote, keyboard + mouse, or Tablet to play it, and there is an insurmountable amount of songs available. It feels awkward at first, but once you get going it's really fun. If you like the Ouendan series (including EBA), then you'll like Osu.