Thread: [Pokémon] The Hoenn Dragons
View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by docowocool View Post
First, with the Genesect thing, Chaos found i and caught it. She doesnt know whether it is legendary.
So she just found this one-of-a-kind Pokemon walking around somewhere, caught it somehow, and didn't try to figure out what it was? Like psyanic said, Genesect is a one-of-a-kind Pokemon. Someone finding it (who didn't work on creating it) would be confused by it and try to find out where it came from and what it does. Or at least trying to figure out where this ancient Pokemon suddenly came from with a super-powered cannon on its back.

Quote:
Well, explaining later is a good idea, because, I don't want to spend chapters inserting useless details and, I don't want to spoil some things for my readers.
Again like psyanic said, if readers are confused about something, it's not a useless detail. Also, if readers get too confused by your story, they'll stop reading completely. You can withhold some information, but you can't keep everything away from your readers and hope they don't notice.

Quote:
Out of character Oaks. Well, I like little changes from canon. It is an underlying mystery of vital importance for the first few stories
If it's a mystery, have the characters remark on it. Like have someone say "why is Oak acting so completely different?" Have characters react to his change. You can have little changes from canon, but have real good reasons for it. Oak's personality can change if the world he lives in is completely different, or if something happened in his life to change him. But if everything in the world is exactly the same except for your character (who's beginning to sound a little too unbelievable) and Oak's personality (and him being a battler), then it's unexplainable why you did those things, especially if they're treated as normal.

It's canon. The canon world has rules. You can bend the rules within good reason (like an event in Oak's life that changes his personality), but it needs to be explained. With your fic, nothing is. There's a character who's an alien, who catches rare Pokemon without explanation or reason, is chosen by rare Pokemon, stops every crime, and is champion of five regions. Oak's personality is completely changed from how we know him, and he's the strongest trainer in the world, which is another complete change because canon establishes Oak as someone who doesn't battle.

Take the time to explain things. Set up your world, don't confuse your reader.