View Single Post
Old July 29th, 2012, 10:34 AM
shenanigans
Staff Admin

I think that RE should definitely be mandatory up until an age, if it's done a certain way. If children are taught simply what different religions believe in without being told that these beliefs are necessarily correct, then I think that's fine. I really can't see the harm done in teaching children which religions believe what and follow what ideals - it's not converting them or forcing anything upon them, it's simply educating them.

What's wrong, in my eyes, is teaching children that there is a correct religion. And by that I mean not necessarily saying that other religions are incorrect, but telling children what the beliefs of one religion are true. An example of this would be reading a passage from the Bible as a "factual" story. At a young and impressionable age, things like this could easily lead children to follow a religion which their parents and other family are not comfortable with.

Basically, teaching about multiple religions? Fine. Teaching a religion? Definitely not fine.

edit: SwiftSign summed up what I wanted to say quite beautifully with his post below. Especially,
Quote:
Again, some people here seem to be mistaking 'Religious Education' for Bible Reading or learning how to worship. That's nowhere near what it is. ;__;
[07/08/2014 15:43:15] ‎keiran: my name is YAMI YUGI and i was a card-playing pharoah in my past life *summons blue-eyes white privilege*

Last edited by shenanigans; July 29th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.