Thread: Research: Adding New Moves to Gen 3
View Single Post
Old August 4th, 2012, 03:07 PM
timson733333
Me gusta.

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Fountain View Post
Sorry for sounding like a noob (because I've never hex edited anything before,) but... What's all this repointing about and how do you do it? And how much is 4260 bytes?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but repointing is when you take the reverse offset of the regular table and replace all instances of it in the ROM with the reverse offset of the new table...? That's what I've been doing, so I hope I haven't been screwing it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Make sure you leave (13 * number of new attacks) free bytes after the end of the data you just copied before doing this next stage.

Next, navigate to 0x1C68F4, and copy 1420 bytes, and paste them into free space in the ROM, making sure the pointer is THUMB aligned. That is, ends with a 0, 4, 8 or C.

Then, go back to 0x1C68F4 and copy (4 * number of new attacks) bytes of data, and paste it into the area after the already copied data. So for example, if you repointed to 0x9F0000, you would paste this latest data starting at 0x9F058C.
I don't get these steps.

EDIT: Okay, now I get it. I've expanded the move table! But when I view the moves in PGE, they're all glitched and have random powers/effects, and when I boot up my ROM, it crashes after gender selection. Am I doing something wrong? I selected the bytes in hex; should I have selected the bytes in decimal (e.g. converting 4260 to 10A4?) Other than that I think I repointed right (unless my definition of repointing was wrong, then please correct me) and I put everything into free space.

EDIT AGAIN: I selected the bytes in decimal and this time the moves came out clear. I made the move after Psycho Boost have a name, and then I booted up the ROM. Still crashes at gender selection. Is there something else I need to do?

EDIT YET AGAIN: Ok, it looks like whenever there's a name input, the game crashes. But the moves work just fine if I upload another savestate and bypass the name selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowlover View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to implement Dragon Tail's effect, but I'm not sure if the Whirlwind/Roar effect has anything built into it to handle doing damage.

How would you modify the Whirlwind/Roar effect to have it do damage before it switches the target out?
I've played a hack where the creator has effects play one after another (like Close Combat, the special defense drop is applied separately after the defense drop; or Growth, where the Special Attack rise is applied as a separate effect after the Attack rise.) So you might be able to make it have a damaging effect first, and then the Whirlwind effect afterwards. However, it will break through a Substitute.

Learning how to hex edit. I'm not advanced in any way, and rely on tools most of the time.

deviantArt | YouTube

Last edited by timson733333; August 4th, 2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to put the quote