View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:25 PM
geox123
"Can go all night" Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mCatman View Post
I'm not sure on this but if you are extracting data directly from a ROM, you should also be able to check it's authenticity via the ROM's id. If it is a pirated copy you will probably have multiple people using that ROM's id. See if you can make a log of these and tie them to the user accounts for reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamiidenryuu View Post
I can't help but imagine that's going to be very limiting... not everyone has the means to get a ROM off a cart, and what if they never bought Fire Red specifically? I understand that you want to discourage piracy and whatnot, but I don't think many people are going to be able to get a legit ROM very easily, if that's what your game ends up requiring.
You'd be surprised at how dirty the rom can be and still run fine with PokeMMO. It doesn't really need a perfect dump. Most Fire Red roms should work, including ones downloaded illegally. There is virtually no difference between a self dumped rom and one downloaded of the internet, because they all come from the same kind of cart (well, each version of the cart).

Basically, there is no "legit" rom. All roms are the same if they are dumped properly. And I'm sure most people here have knowledge on how to acquire roms, whether Kosher or not.

Last edited by geox123; August 9th, 2012 at 09:32 PM.