View Single Post
Old August 10th, 2012 (08:57 AM). Edited August 10th, 2012 by FlameChocobo.
Warrior of Hoenn

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by machomuu:
Blue was the name of the special enhanced version that came out later, and it's the version we got, thus, Green was never localized. In other words, Blue isn't the localized version of Green, Blue is the localized version of Blue, which came out to fix and change things that the original Red and Green did "wrong" (it was released alongside a new Red version for the West, but Blue was, in essence, the first "third version"). Blue came out first in Japan, and then in the West later, but they didn't bring Green over because of the flaws and the sprites (*shudder*), plus they had no reason to; this version was just plain "better" than the originals.
No, the international Red and Blue is Red and Green WITH the engine of the Original Blue. Even Blue version has ugly sprites (there are some sprites uglier than they were in the originals.) Don't believe me? Let me explain...

Spoiler:
In the Original Blue Version
  • In Route 22, Nidoran male and female both have a 5% encounter rate.
  • In order to get Mr. Mime in Route 2, you need to have a Jigglypuff to trade it.
  • In Cerulean City, the trainer that you have to trade your Polywhirl to get Jynx in Red and Green, is the trainer that trades your a Haunter for your Machoke.
  • In order to get Farfetch'd in Vermillion City, you need to have a Pidgey to trade it.
  • You can't find Electabuzz in Power Plant. Trade it from Red (recommended if you caught Jynx)
  • In Rock Tunnel, you actually encounter Ditto with a 10% Encounter rate.
  • In Celadon Game Corner, I'll go ahead and label the following Pokemon Prizes (Abra for 180 coins, Pikachu for 620 coins, Horsea for 1000 coins, Clefable for 2880 coins, Dragonair for 5400 coins, and Porygon for 8300 coins (which is the second cheapest compared to getting one for 6500 coins in the Green version))
  • In the Safari Zone, Kangaskhan and Tauros are unavailable. However you can get Lickitung there.
  • In Route 18, the trainer that trades you a Lickitung for your Slowbro in Red and Green, you have to trade your Persian for Tauros.
  • In Route 11, the trainer that trades you a Nidorina for your Nidorino in Red and Green, trades you a Kangaskhan for your Rhydon.
  • On Seafoam Island, you actually find Jynx. Her encounter rate is 1% on B2F and 4% on B4F
  • You can't get Magmar in Pokemon Mansion. Trade it from Green (Recommended if you caught Jynx)
  • You actually can encounter Growlithe/Arcanine, Oddish/Gloom/Vileplume, Scyther, Sandshrew/Sandslash, Meowth/Persian, and Pinsir.
There! Added any relevant differences between Red and Green (Red and Blue outside of Japan) and Blue (which was released only in Japan.) It's just in case you hadn't researched. Let me know if I missed something.

So there you have it. Other than the title and theme, the international version of Pokemon Blue is actually Pokemon Green with the engine of the original Blue. Leaving out One version on a generation was the biggest flaw the localization team made. That is why they really need to relocalize Pokemon First Generation (though, it won't happen because it's the decision.)