View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2012 (09:57 PM).

Quote originally posted by zephyr6257:
First, because legally, you can't get married till you're 18 (or whenever depending on what country you live in.) So unless you have the endurance of a Golem, you need to wait till you're of marriable age (lol i don't know if that's grammatically correct) and that's a heck of a long time. I morally don't like live-in partners, for several reasons, so I don't count that.

But if you aren't serious about staying together with your partner, e.g. actually planning to break up with him/her in a few months, then what's the point of devoting your time and energy for him/her?
You don't plan to break up with your partner, yet you shouldn't exactly be planning on marriage (from the beginning of a relationship) either, especially at a young age. But I believe that being in relationships early does prepare you for what it's going to be like when you actually settle down. By the time you are married, or at least in a serious relationship and thinking about marriage, you should know what comes with it, what you have to change, sacrifice, etc.

Second, having a boyfriend/girlfriend sort of narrows your list of friends. Especially if you have a controlling girlfriend/boyfriend who strictly monitors your time with your other friends. Wouldn't it be cooler if you had like, a lot of friends which are of the opposite sex, so that once you're old and mature and is looking for a soulmate, it's easier to pick? That would save a lot of couples from divorce, because you aren't forced to only spend time with your girlfriend, which you shuffle between chores and schoolwork.
This isn't always the case. Having a boyfriend or girlfriend could potentially introduce you to more people, mainly their friends (albeit awkward with the Bro Code and exes and stuff). Hopefully though they'll want to meet your friends, and you theirs, and the problem of being controlling won't exist if you both understand that friends are still important. If you come across someone who doesn't let you spend time with friends, they're probably not good for you. And just because you have a lot of friends, doesn't mean you're necessarily inclined to fall romantically for them once you're at a suitable age. Similarly, I shouldn't think having less friends would ultimately harm your chances at finding a serious relationship.

Third, they sort of limit what you're able to do. I have a friend who's girlfriend doesn't let him watch movies without her. Stupid right? So when the dark knight came out, he had to wait for 4-5 weeks later before he could watch the movie with his girlfriend. Psh. Seriously?
Again, not always the case. And if anything, you either assert to your gf/bf that such an event is important to you (i.e., you want to see Batman on the first day), or you learn patience, which is not so bad.

Now imagine all the other stuff you could do if you didn't waste time on relationships? Subtract all those moments where you have to text him/her, go on dates with him/her, buy gifts for him/her, etc. You wouldn't be cramped up with your studying, or more importantly, eating cookies! 8D Loljk. But seriously, that's a lot of extra time in your hands. And a lot of less stress.
This part will be the most subjective, seeing as I haven't been in a relationship. But first, being in a relationship should't consume your entire life. The prime dating age range is one where people are busy finding jobs, still going through school, etc. People still manage to find time to do the things they want/need to do, and if not, they learn to prioritize, which is a much needed skill. But being single, I have had that extra time. I would much rather spend it being with someone, going on dates etc. It's not that you spend every moment with them, but being "occupied" with a relationship would make the days go by faster. I would think it's more productive (in a sense) than being indoors on my computer for hours at a time.

If I sound aggressive I apologize. I love to convey my thoughts on discussions such as this. But I do not think there is anything wrong with early relationships. Not even touching on the sexual aspects (which would probably hurt my case), I think the experience is something people should have entering that phase in their life where they are looking to settle down and get married. I don't feel it detracts from the lives they're already leading, and in the cases where it does, they should make the decision to adapt, or break it off.