View Single Post
Old August 27th, 2012 (3:37 PM).
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Originally Posted by No-san View Post
Thanks for the explanations, it makes more sense now. As for me, I don't plan on recreating a whole new game right now with so little knowledge, I'll keep the original game and add stuff to it. So I guess I'm just gonna be careful and clear flags and variables when I no longer need them, etc.

There are indeed limits, but not that limiting, you can work around those, am I right ? Otherwise, people couldn't provide hacks that allow players to visit several regions...
They are in fact limiting. The GBA doesn't have infinite memory...far from it. There's only so much space the GBA has, and that space is basically what you have to work with, so there's no way to simply add more flags.

People who make multi-region hacks must be very careful with allocating their flags and variables, because of these limitations.

Don't forget, there's still ALOT of flags (something like 2,000, I think) so you won't be hard-pressed unless you plan on going absolutely crazy with flags.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.