Thread: [Discussion] Is regular school overrated?
View Single Post
Old September 12th, 2012 (06:36 PM).
sab
Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by timelessgold:
Wow, your story is quite interesting. 14 hours of sleep? I'm jealous. D: However, I can say as someone that goes to a public school, yes and no.

I say yes, because public schooling opens up far more opportunities for bullying and distractions. I was at one point diagnosed with depression because I was bullied so much in school for being poor. Also, there are tons of distractions, such as sleep, that can interrupt learning. Where I go to school, we start the day at 7:20. That is far too early. Because of that, large amounts of students fall asleep in class.

However, I also think that public schooling is a really good idea for those who can handle it. You receive irreplaceable social experience and you are opened up to so many different ideas. For example, I started getting into Pokemon in 4th or 5th grade because a friend of mine loved it and told me all about it. Also, I like the challenge of doing work in a class, and the experience of different teachers giving me knowledge about many different subjects.

There's lots of pros and cons, and I'm not really sure if the pros outweigh the cons or not. It just all depends on the person, in my opinion.
Wait... 7:20 isn't that bad, I'm homeschooled and I start school at 6:30, and it generally goes to about 8:30. 7 days a week, although I am counting homework into that. Being bullied in public school sucks. I've been there, but since I never liked social interactions for as long as I can remember, I just avoided everyone, and was more or less fine. Occasionally I had to pay people money, but for the most part if you want to be away from everyone you can avoid most stuff. As for the social interactions I have 2 chess clubs that I go to, a couple of classes I drive to that have other people, boy scouts, etc. basically you just have to go out of your way more for social stuff. I can't side with you more on the last point though. It definatly depends on the person. If they are willing to look outside of a class environment for friends homeschooling is great. Also pretty much no matter where you go, there will be a group of people who are also homeschooling so you can interact with them if you desire. For people who are really social, or can't afford the enormous fees for books and such, homeschooling would be awful. Also some people have parents who would be good "teachers" and some don't. It really all depends on how social you are, and how much your willing to work for your education as to how successful it will be.