View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2012 (12:49 PM).
Can people give a good, detailed reason as to why the Pokemon games are better than Digimon instead of just flat out saying it?

I get that Pokemon makes a lot of impacts as a media icon nowadays and is easily accessible, but as games they are completely overrated by the older audience (which I'd argue is because of nostalgia.). Sure, it gets a lot of praise for being a very accessible and easy to get RPG series, and it's warranted. But the whole mechanics are lackluster and predictable that I feel people hype it way too much when it's completely for younger audience. And don't give me that "but competitive battling is deep" stuff, it's not. It doesn't take months to learn about EVs, IVs and Natures like what some people make it seem to be, and strategy is present in all turn based RPGs anyway. Pokemon certainly has strong points that make it a good IP but I feel it's a weak RPG overall.

I will not deny that Digimon games have flaws, because they certainly do, and I have only played two games so my opinion is not biased. But when I played the games I felt, as a general RPG, it was the better one. The gameplay is fresh and something I don't usually see, the level designs were pretty good and the mechanics to getting a Digimon is very thought out and puts an emphasize on managing your team rather than just using your favorite. It's just much more challenging, fun and rewarding.

It's like calling Pokemon better than Final Fantasy III/IV/V/VI/VII/whatever, Persona 1/2/3/4, Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne, Chrono Trigger, etc for all the wrong reasons imo.

Twitter - Tumblr