Thread: FireRed hack: POKEMON: Dark Rising
View Single Post
Old September 16th, 2012, 10:31 PM
itman
Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRisingGirl View Post
After you get your 4th badge and defeat Evil Pete on Numassity path, the beta ends. The full game is in working progress and will be released by the end of the year. With Part 2 coming sometime next year.

I have a Question about a small idea I thought of looking and playing competitive battles. In standard play, most people use Ditto's new Imposter Ability and use a Choice Scarf with it. That's pretty much 99% of Ditto's sets you'll ever encounter when playing against someone. I have no idea (I don't think anyone else does either) how to create Ditto's imposter ability into a gba hack. For those who don't know, imposter makes ditto instantly transform into the opponent's Pokemon as soon as it comes in the battle and copies all of it's stats(except HP), boosts, and moves.

Here's my question, do you think it would be cool and make Ditto much more useful if I gave it the Speed Boost Ability? It's the closest way to imitate the standard Ditto we see in current gen and will somewhat feel like Imposter Choice Scarf'd Ditto(It''ll be faster then your opponent's Pokemon possibly as soon as it comes in. You would still have to Transform though, sadly).

It's just an idea and I would like some opinions on it. Thanks.
Something I learned from hacking for many years is that, competitive play just doesn't go too well with the games. I competitive battle myself and I have thought about it, but some things just wouldn't have the desired effect I would want (and most people wouldn't even know how to use these sets and such).

Ditto, with imposter, is technically uncounterable if switched in correctly. It's a beast. But think about it...with speed boost (that wouldn't really make sense...), it would get boosted one stage after it comes in. So assuming it comes in on a safe switch (since it's stats are so low I doubt it would even survive one hit), it can transform...and get here's another point: the reason Ditto is so beast in competitive play is that most pokemon counter themselves. In the games, pokemon aren't gonna have "movesets" that you can pick on the spot. So if a Ditto transforms into say...in your hack a Pichu. Pichu knows...no ground moves...so it would just be kinda useless. And Ditto's HP sucks and it will die soon. So there's a long winded example lmao.

I would just leave competitive play out of it, it's okay here and there to add some things, but remember most people won't even know how to use them and will just disregard it entirely.

Oh, but if you wanted to make a Ditto as a boss, you could just make an event that has the Ditto transform before taking you on...since no matter what it would (in the case of imposter) transform into the first pokemon you send out anyway...