View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2012 (12:00 PM).
Guide of Darkness
Gold Tier
Nature: Quiet
Originally Posted by Went View Post
"My job is not to worry about those people."
I think what he said was incredibly stupid, but also not surprising. He's known to speak out of both sides of mouth and cater to whatever crowd he's talking to at the time. Most politicians do

So in that instance? Rich folks. Friends of his. Financial backers and supporters. Do they want to hear that he cares about them or the poor? Certainly not the poor, that's not their interest. Later when he visits Florida (probably a great number of those 47% not paying taxes supposedly are elderly) he's going to be talking about how he supports them and protecting Medicare and whatever which else.

Besides... 47% is receiving some kind of support, yes. Not paying taxes though? No. More like half of that. Interestingly though, there would of course be a certain element of the poor or those who just don't give a damn - but also the elderly like I mention, and when you look at the demographics a lot of southern states. He's talking about his core voting base XD

With all that said though, I didn't take the "my job isn't to worry about these people" as having concern for them or not in his potential role as president. I took it as, "I can't get them to vote for me. I won't bother. I need you [people in the room] to lend me your support and get me elected"

I find his Israel stuff more interesting, really. For all the nonsensical flack he's given Obama on not being a good friend to Israel, Romney essentially says "Too tough to solve. I'll kick the can down to whoever the President is that follows me"