View Single Post
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:54 PM
NikNaks

Nature: Jolly
Okay, okay. You clearly have a lot of passion for game development, but you seem incredibly naive about the process. I have to agree with the guys at the Unity forum who say that you're not capable of doing something like this, certainly not at this point.

For starters, investing a huge amount of time and energy into a Pokémon fangame, which you will be sued for if it's even partially successful, is perhaps not the wisest dream. Couple that with the Mega Man element, of course, and you have two possible ways to get closed down. If you are inspired to make an RPG creature-based game, why not go the whole way and make something original? Sure, you can borrow gameplay elements from other games, but borrow too heavily and your work will be for nought. So you want to keep the Pokémon fans involved in your game. A nice thought, but if you're serious about the game, it legally isn't possible.

Secondly, I'm really confused about what your role would be. Do you have any experience working in Unity? Doing graphics? Most people who visit this subforum have their own ideas and stories, and a lot of those have few other skills, which inevitably lead to nothing happening. Why? Because people aren't going to do free work for someone else's dream. If you don't know how to do something, try to learn. If you can't learn, try another facet of game development. Also, I don't want to offend you, but I would be very worried about working with you as a writer given how riddled with grammatical and spelling errors. Anything short of near-perfect English is seen as unprofessional, and arrogance such as "I can write very very very long and exciting storys like 100,000-1,000,000 words long if I have to storys" comes across as ridiculous.

Lastly, your story makes no sense. Okay, the idea of "real" kids being transported into the Pokémon world is good and fairly original (as far as I can remember), but its execution in your extract is disjointed. WWIII? Why is that relevant or necessary? It makes the scope of the storyline huge, without actually doing anything with it. There are simple edits that would make it more logical. You say that "Arceus did it somehow" when he gives the kids Pokémon, immediately before warping them to the Pokémon world. Why don't you just flip the two around? Wouldn't that be easier? And I'm guessing the EXE thing is a Mega Man reference, but having your characters transform just seems entirely pointless and unnecessary. They've been transported out of their own world, given Pokémon and then for some reason they're turned into robots. Is everyone a robot now? It's just excessive and seems to be trying to shoehorn in Mega Man without really giving it any real thought.

I'll leave it there, but really, I think you need to get a sense of perspective. If there's anything I've said you're confused about or want to reply to, please say so.