View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2012 (10:26 AM).
Cutlerine
Gone. May or may not return.

Quote originally posted by Misheard Whisper:
My timing, it is eternally impeccable. F.A.B., Thunderbird One. Also, I am incredibly pleased to hear of your appreciation of Matthew Reilly. One of my favourite authors, for sure; what he somewhat lacks in storytelling and finesse, he more than makes up for in pure tension and blistering action.
There's little to say other than that I agree here, and to reiterate what I said earlier (and by earlier I mean several months and possibly a year ago), I appreciate you getting the reference. Literally no one else has ever given any sign that they even know what a Thunderbird is.

And I appreciate the history/geography lecture. A few things make a lot more sense now.
Yes, I imagine it does. Most of what I invented about that isn't relevant, but I find that writing as if everyone knows it already - in other words, as someone living in that world would write it - tends to result in that information sort of bleeding through in drips and drabs through the narrative.

So, ah, Chapter Three. I first want to mention the one thing that stuck in my mind from this chapter: Liepard's voice. Holy hell, that thing scared the pants off me. The way you described it lent it exactly the quality you wanted, I think, and it is a particularly vivid description that made me shiver. Actually, the Liepard in general freaks the hell out of me. Fabulous.
Ah. If you're not familiar with my stuff, then you'll not have come across one of my dark moments before. Yeah, I tend to write quite light-heartedly in general, but have a weakness for the brutal and the dark - and such elements invariably creep into my writing. Quite honestly, I usually don't notice it's dark; it's all one with the story to me.

Although I did spend quite a bit of time on the Liepard. I wanted to get the description of its voice just right, and it seems I did.

At any rate, we've gotten both exposition chapters done, one in each world, so I guess we're on to the meat of the story. Definitely an enjoyable chapter, though not quite as much seemed to go down as in the first couple. It goes without saying that I'm curious as to what the Green Party want with Halley, and what the 'artefact' is, yadda yadda yadda. But to find those out, I can only wait - and wait I shall, with bated breath.
Well, we'll soon find out. Things will pick up again in the next chapter, I think; that is, unless I once again severely underestimate my propensity for writing entire chapters of dialogue. It's happened before, and I don't doubt it'll happen again one day.

Thank you for reading and leaving your opinions!

F.A.B.

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.