View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:36 AM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Believe me when I say we thought long and hard about introducing the new variables, but we decided it'd be worth it since it would all but eradicate most of the flag/variable corruption issues. 3.2 runs far more reliably than 3.1 ever did due to the memory hacks we implemented. We came to the conclusion that it'd be all but impossible to actually implement some sort of conversion.
That makes a lot of sense actually. Overall, doing that was a good idea although you probably wanted to keep the latest versions as compatible with the newest one as possible but sometimes, it just isn't worth it. I've ran into this issue multiple times myself too, haven't just had to do as dramatic change as you've done here to break the compability before.

Spoiler:
For instance, recently I just added a hack for making it possible to rename third main character in my hack. Well, I got it working and the script saves that person's name in a certain ram location. This isn't done in the newest available version though so if the players continued with that save and got into an event where this person is referred to, the game would freeze if I didn't use unused memory area where another copy of the main hero's name is stored. Won't work the way intended but freezing prevented hahha :D

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations