Thread: FireRed hack: Pokémon FireRed: Challenge Mode
View Single Post
Old October 7th, 2012 (09:15 PM).
Simpleton

Nature: Modest
Hey there! It's great to see there's interest in implementing my GB Player into FireRed hacks other than my own. What you're planning to do with this hacks seems quite ambitious on its own, even if it dwarfed in comparison to what you have plans for with DarkCopper. You seem to be putting tons of effort into it, especially with the de-capitalization, trainer Pokémon lineup, and move changing efforts. Overall, I really commend you for your work on this hack thus far!

If you want to circumvent any bugs with the GB Player or have higher-quality tracks, it might be a good idea to bring it up to my version 3.0 release. No use in keeping an outdated version lingering around in any capacity! I can help you with updating that if you need it.
Quote originally posted by SSJ4 Furanki:
- Maybe Day and Night (Not sure if I wanna implement it, though it's totally possible)
Here's some helpful advice: only include the day/night patch in the hack yourself if you plan on implementing time-based events. If you don't, people might accuse you of including a feature just for the sake of including it. That's the reason why I've never used it. If people want it, they can just patch it in on their own, it's not hard at all to do.
Quote:
- De-censorship (no more 'coffee' excuse in Viridian city, the Pokémon tower dialouge was reverted to its Red/Blue incarnation, Gambler not Gamer, etc.)
If you're going the route of "de-censoring" the Gamers/Gamblers, make sure to change their message boxes, too. For example, one of them has the pre-battle message: "I'm a ramblin', gamin' dude!' when it should be "I'm a ramblin', gamblin' dude!"
Quote:
- Not sure where it would be located, but, if I could get rid of the 'HELP' menu, I will. It personally annoys the hell out of me and I'm sure anybody playing this hack is familiar with Pokémon.
You do know that you can just disable the "HELP" menu in the Options menu, right? Just set the L/R function to something else.
Quote:
- Deoxys, Lugia and Ho-Oh will be easily reachable, once you give Celio the Ruby and Sapphire, I will have him give you the Aurora and Mystic Tickets. Faraway Island has been put in, but, I haven't programmed Mew's battle in yet. I will be making use of the unused maps for any potential new areas.
I'm excited to see what you have in mind for event battles! I always appreciate people putting in the extra effort to make legendaries have one-off battles. Don't forget to have the game to setflags for both 0x84A and 0x84B for the tickets.
Quote:

Trainer Cards
I'm actually a fan of the HG/SS sprites. Their high attention to detail and stylish poses make them quite memorable. They also tend to do so without sacrificing faithfulness to the original/canon art (save for Sabrina, of course).

That Green/Leaf sprite, though...I'm sure you're aware of what's up with it, too. Just tell me that it's not final.
Quote:

More anti-censorship, this of the drunken old man, whoo, haha.
That new "conversation" with the old man looks hilarious! Is that how it actually was in the Japanese release?

Quote:
Credits:
RichterSnipes: For the GB Player/other extras from his patch, like the correct trainer facing, unlimited move tutors, etc.
Nintendo and Game Freak: For releasing and making the game that is being edited.
All the tool makers that made the tools that can make this possible.
Just to let you know, please don't give me any credit whatsoever for the trainer facing fix. That was all Jambo51's work, all I did was include it in my hack.

I hope you have success with this side-project and that it re-invigorates your hacking skills enough to make DarkCopper what you always wanted it to be!