Thread: PokeDS
View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2012 (02:00 PM).
Alexandre

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by the__end:
hmm depending on the tileset you can use 1 to create 20-30 maps if not more...
so i am sure that a tileset will take much less space then 20 maps would do...
just think about routes...
making all the routes with one tileset is easy...
making all indor maps with one tileset is possible...
making all cities with one tileset would be harder to do if you dont use the same houses in every city...
but well lets say we need 3 tilesets for the cities...
so a game with 100 maps or so would require 5 tilesets...
well it was a pretty rough description...
but it should just show you that tilesets actually save a lot of space...
but i dont care if you have to use png or tilesets if there isnt any differences in performance... :D
i mean it shouldnt lag when changing maps...

and you still didnt explained how autotiles will work...
i mean animated water or flowers...
and of course we need to know how the character sheets should look like...
like in rpg maker or are they different?
how will you manage adding pokemon in the game?
I can't really explain it any differently than I have so I will just say this. DS Game Maker will never have to see the tileset you are using in Tiled or RMXP. It will however, have the same performance as RMXP (or better).

I haven't yet figured out the implementation of autotiles. I'm still thinking of a way similar to RMXP's. Currently, the only way to do it would be to use events which of course will get laggy and consume more resources than necessary. Not to worry though, they will get done!

Here's an example of a character sheet:

RMXP charsheets will work absolutely fine as long as each frame is spaced out correctly and positioned in the order left right up down. But don't worry if they're not in that order. DS Game Maker allows you to rearrange each individual frame once the charset is imported.

For the Pokemon, I will probably nick Poccil's idea of a stand alone program that allows you to add/remove pokemon, trainers etc etc - all that will come in due time. All that's done so far is the map and the teleporting - which by the way still needs a bug kinking out, the screen fades back in before actually teleporting.