View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2012, 05:12 PM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeShroom View Post
Not to mention, the awesome way they had a ridiculously easy level curve, and that instead of just an awesome new region, they just had two watered-down ones, one of which had already been used in the previous generation.
That is true, but what I was referring to was the expansiveness of Crystal really unlocked their potential; if only they'd have made the game somewhat more challenging, given how easy it was after Whitney's Miltank.

Quote:
Wait, what. You're just assuming that, A) Everyone lost to Norman on their first try, and B) No one ever healed up at the Pokemon Center in Petalburg? As for the expansive sea routes, repels aren't exactly expensive. Not at all, at that point in the game, you can easily afford 50+ while still having enough for Pokeballs and healing items and whatnot. Repels aren't exhausted so quickly as you seem to think they are.
Norman is brutally tough and I'd be surprised if plenty of first-timers beat him on their first go. Even as having played the prior games, I wasn't expecting that kind of brutality. And I did heal up in Petalburg - it's just that Norman's Slakings are ridiculous unless you've encountered them before.
The sea routes are bigger than one thinks, so if one only buys 10 repels thinking they'd be fine, then that's a problem. It's also confusing to get around, but I kind of like that. I don't like the endless Tentacool, though.

Quote:
Agreed, except for the plot. First, you praise Emerald's plot for it's craziness or somesuch, and then you say D/P lacks any plot? It was on par with Emerald's, just not as refined, because Emerald was the third, updated version.
D/P had no personality whatsoever, and it was a pointless exercise in thuggery, as if they had no motive at all. Platinum changed that - Emerald was a combination of Ruby and Sapphire, which made a damn good plot. D/P was basically soulless and uncharming in every way possible, not even having a notable villain. Cyrus thus had a bigger role in Platinum and boy, did he need it.

Quote:
Exactly what's wrong with any of those? You listed four Pokemon which aren't really that odd or badly designed, and failed to list anything else, it's like those are the only examples you can think of. In any case, Gen V introduced over 150 new Pokemon, and every generation has it's duds. It's pretty much up to individual taste as to which Pokemon qualify as these duds, but they're there. Even if you could list ten or fifteen badly designed Gen V Pokemon, there's over one hundred and fifty of them. No, they're not running out of ideas.
You have a fair point there, but Gen V has the most duds in my mind. Klink's design is horrific given how it's just gears. Cofagrigus is a creepy coffin that just doesn't make sense. Alomomola is just Luvdisc 2.0. Gurdurr is just plain ugly. Vanillite looks like an ice cream cone. Garbordor is a freakin' dumpster. Golurk may look awesome but it doesn't look like a Pokemon. Need I list more? There are a lot of lines in Gen V that I wouldn't use because I hate the designs of them. This isn't the same case in the early generations, because I can only think of things like Muk and Electrode in Gen I. There's 150 of them there, too, and overall, it's a better bunch.

I fully expect Gen VI to have more duds than V had, and for the curve to get progressively worse.