View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Shdwj
Excuse me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
I spoke to my aunt a few months ago and was horrified at what she was saying. She's a hardcore Catholic, she watches EWTN all the time and goes to church multiple times a week. Her husband that she had been married to for 60+ years died a few years ago. She's insistent that he's in hell because he didn't go with her to church or believe in God. I was so taken aback and honestly hurt that she was so nonchalant about it.

Then I told her if God exists I couldn't imagine him being so unmerciful as to reveal that he exists to a person and then ignore their repentance in the afterlife to torture them for eternity, and she just kept interrupting me and saying "no" over and over again. ;_;
It certainly can be a scary thought. However, I simply cannot call God unmerciful. He gives many the opportunity throughout their lives to place their faith in Him. It's true that God really is love. He desires everyone to come to the knowledge of the truth. This is why He sent Jesus: to give all of us a chance to be forgiven through Him.

Also, I understand that the thought of a loved one being in hell can certainly be scary and quite hurtful. In the case with your aunt, simply because she speaks of it so nonchalantly does not necessarily mean she didn't carry hurt inside when her husband passed away. What appears on the outside isn't necessarily a representation of what people feel on the inside. But forgive me if I am out of place in speaking on such a matter. I just understand what it is like to mask hurt from others.

| Ongoing series: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 Multiplayer |