View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2012, 09:04 AM
itman
Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumille View Post
So, I'm using the JPAN Hacked Engine for Fire Red. Mainly, because I need to use his Runtime Trainer Customization function. I kinda figured out how it works through the .doc, but I have a problem with the way it works. I used the Overworld Editor - Rebirth Edition to edit the basic hero sprites (hero standing and hero walking). I figured that by the time I use my Runtime Trainer Customization script, I still don't have my Running Shoes, Bike, VS Seeker or Fishing Rod, so why change those sprites. I wanted to use the first command (Setvar 0x4054) to change my walking/standing Hero to the original look. I would change the look of a random NPC to that of the original Hero, so that when I use the 'Setvar 0x4054' command, my hero would have the original look again. To pre-test it, I just used the 'Setvar 0x4054'-command on a random NPC. I gave myself the Running Shoes, to see how it would look. When I went outside and ran, I didn't get the old Hero look though, it was the random NPC 'gliding'. No running animation, just the basic standing sprite moving through the screen.

How can I get it to work that I start the game with my 'new' Hero look, then have the command change my appearance, so that the rest of the game I look like the old/normal Hero?
Two ways you could do this. (Second is better)

One would be to make the "original" hero (OW #0) you're edited hero so you start out with it automatically, and then change it to the normal one when you want.

Second, if you want to keep hero #0 the original OW (for reasons such as when you're naming your character, this is the one that shows up, etc...actualy this option is better), make the first map you go to a black screen that covers the player (Edit one of the tiles in any palette to include a black tile that isn't a background). Then make a level script in that black map that will setvar 0x4054 0x0 and then warp you to your original starting map, and then continue from there.

Since JPAN's hack doesn't work with Start Map Chooser Advance, I would just Map 4.1 (starting map) the black map, and then just edit the map that was there to another one (CTRL + right click for grosser block so you can completely copy the old map).