View Single Post
Old October 16th, 2012, 07:15 PM
AChipOffTheOldBrock
Too Legit To Quit

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolurkIsDaBomb View Post
It's about time I joined this! Woooooooooooo atheism!

What are your opinions on subjects such as same-sex marriage, abortion, the death penalty, and so on? Why?
Same-sex marriage? Go ahead! Why would I be against something that makes two people happy? As for abortion, I'm pro-choice. In my opinion, it's the mother's choice, as the baby won't feel pain/isn't really a baby yet when abortion is still an available option. I am against the death penalty, however. Since I don't believe in an afterlife, cutting someone's only chance at the world short seems horrible to me. Even if they've done terrible things, they still deserve the one chance they have. That's the idealistic version of my view on it. In all actuality, I believe this up to a point, but...but there are people like Hitler.

As we all know, Andy is extremely anti-gay. He even supplies churches with their facts about how dangerous being a homosexual is, and why it should be illegal. He's an inspiration to us all! *sobs from inspiration*

(Okay, I apologize for the extreme sarcasm, but it felt somewhat warranted/I'm just kidding )

Anyway... Here's what I don't get. You say, "Whats wrong with believing something illogical if it makes you happy but doesn't hurt anyone else?"

So why is something that is completely logical, makes people happy and doesn't hurt anyone else (I'm referring to gay marriage here, presuming you're against gay marriage since you seem to be against gay sex (if not sorry for this little rant)) not okay by you? I guess I can't say it's hypocritical, since they're slightly different ideas, but your ideology confuses me a bit. If you're okay with potentially lying to someone or a group of people or society, just to make them happy, then why aren't you okay with - just letting people be happy, without criticism?

And furthermore, the problem with believing in something illogical just to be happy... well while they say ignorance is bliss, it's still ignorance. And ignorance is dangerous to the ignorant person, everyone else, and well, the world. :/
Its not that I wouldnt hate someone just because they are a homosexual but I do not like the idea of homosexuality. Ive also never met a homosexual I liked. I like some gay singers but so far in my life I have yet to meet a homosexual and like them as a person. I was also raised very aint-gay. I was raised in the south, baptist, and by a very anti-gay single mother. So I guess its kind of a learned behavior as well as not liking homosexuals that I have met. Im not going to lie, Im against gay marriage just to get at gay people. I just dont like them and I dont like the idea of them getting married. Im fine with domestic partnerships or what have you but I dont see why they cant use a different word than marriage. Sorry if Im rambling Im kind of out of it right now. Ill edit this tomorrow if its not well constructed.

And onto the other part. How is ignorance dangerous? And say there are two theories as to why something happens. One is the most logical one and the other is not. If the more logical conclusion makes people unhappy and the less logical one makes people happy what is the problem? How does this hurt anyone. Again I apologize if this post isnt any good.

@Shining Raichu, I edited my post. Sorry if the language was too graphic. Im assuming you werent kidding with the boyfriend part. Well, do you find the sexual acts that homosexual women engage in disgusting? Or men and women? Sorry if you dont like my anti-gay stances. No offense intended, but Im not going to lie about my views.And you might find the above description of acceptance of a less logical theory more reasonable. Also how is it fruitless if it makes someone happy? Thats metaphorical fruit isnt it?

Last edited by AChipOffTheOldBrock; October 17th, 2012 at 12:34 PM.